Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Murder Investigation Launched after Body Found in Finsbury Park

Following the discovery of a body at the edge of the old cricket pitch in Finsbury Park, the Metropolitan Police have concluded that a person died in suspicious circumstances and have launched a murder inquiry.

The police believe that the young woman who was found died on Christmas Eve. The body was relatively well hidden by the old equipment hut so it remained hidden until today.

While the surrounding 'scene' is  searched for any possible evidence, the whole American Gardens section of the park is closed including the Endymion Road entrance along with the one next to the old cricket pitch on Green Lanes. 

Views: 11768

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But Finsbury Park is completely within Haringey (and I see that they've noticed this and changed the petition).

This is not about the park, again it's more likely the bloody 29 bus which the 3 women who were raped on the ladder a few years ago were followed off of.

I was thinking he might have followed her off the bus - I guess we'll find out in the fullness of time.  Better lighting in Finsbury Park might be a deterrent to all kinds of crime though, especially if it means more people using the park after dark.

I use the park after dark (like after 5pm) to cycle through. It's got quite a few people down at the Finsbury Park Ave gate (smoking weed and hanging about), the "get out of our way, we're British Military fitness!" people further up and then the cars parked outside the boating lake. That part seems quite safe and doesn't, in my opinion need lights. The bit we're concerned about is something that is just supposed to be used during the day anyway and there are signs saying that the only sports to be played there are baseball and softball. There is a problem in the summer with men playing football there at 4am (I kid you not) and keeping people awake but NOBODY should be walking near where this woman's body was found.

I'm saying, focussing on the park is wrong and simplistic. We'll end up with it closed off or worse and nothing for the lot of young women like this will have been improved.

Men play football outside my flat at 4am but I still don't want the lights turned off. The New River Path ges through that part of the park, it stands to reason people would use it as a shortcut.

If you're really intent on getting into the park, you'd just jump over the fence. So what are we really doing here if we "close the gates"?

I'm not one-upping from my point of view. Just defending access to the park.

Women I know will not even cycle through the park with me as a "short-cut" when it's dark so if that was what she was doing she was very brave. I wasn't talking about her jumping the fence, I was talking about a potential perpetrator/do badder jumping the fence. I now see that you're trying to save young women from themselves which is victim blaming. She did not die because she took a shortcut through the park. She died because someone murdered her.

It's that bloody 29 again, not the park.

I was under the impression that the nature watchers (bat conservationists in particular) do not want the park lit for the sake of the wildlife.  http://www.darksky.org/light-pollution/wildlife/

Have you ever see The Matrix? Everyone was safe and happy in there...

Please please Sarah, don’t run through the park at night. Any park at night is dangerous, cycling is one thing as you can get away. Glad to see we have most of our park back now apart from the field where she was found

The park is harmless! It's doing nothing bad. I think you mean that there can be people in the park who have bad intentions. Let's not get away from the fact that this was done by a MAN and therein lies the issue. It wasn't her fault that she was murdered and it wasn't the park's.

You'd be surprised about how it's often not possible to get away from someone who wants to get you on a bicycle, even on a moped. However the people who want to get you are not the blokes smoking weed at night in the park but other road users.

When it's dark I run down the road, I guess I should avoid that too! Though probably the pollution would kill me before anything else does...

It's horrible around there on that enormous road except if you go through the park and in the park is totally dark after about 4.30. It doesn't do anything to make the area attractive to live or stay fit in and lights would make that a fair bit different. I say lighting for Finsbury park. Maybe a bobby on the beat every once in a while. I'm not speculating on cause of this poor woman's death but this is a probably I think we should be motivated to act on anyway. I had no idea the park was routinely left open at nighttime with that level of lighting and it's not okay.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service