Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I thought " that's a bit of a bargain " and popped a pack into my trolley.

It was only when I stopped to check if there were any cooking instructions that I noticed that they were £2.99 EACH and that the true price of the pack is £ 5.98. Now maybe I was being naive about the price, but then, I'm only a man

I also noticed that a 300g jar of Nescafe is cheaper than a 200g one and that the paper refill packs are by far the most expensive way of buying coffee. Am I crazy, or are they ?

Tags for Forum Posts: sainsbury's

Views: 1238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've heard they have a special offer on tin foil hats, John. £2 each, or 2 for £5.

Are you belittling my argument by suggesting that I am the kind of crazy person who believes in conspiracy theories? I can merely assert that I'm not. Feel free to continue with your fantastic line of arguing though.

I was referring to your statement "Sainsbury's are definitely making mistakes in their favour a bit more often than you would expect if they were "fair" mistakes", which seemed to me to be speculative (at best).

I didn't really understand your point about City traders, so I didn't respond to that.

Anyway, it was just a bad joke really, no offence intended. Sorry. 

Alex I think you've presented the supermarket chain's case as best it could be put, but for me the key thing you've identified is the problem is with the (prominent) shelf labelling.

I agree its not a grand conspriacy (that could anyway not be sustained).

But it surely has become a pattern of behaviour. It's just one example of the few things that some HoL members have noticed and publicised.

I recently saw on the discount shelves a 4-pack of tinned tuna, marked down from £7 something to £5 something. Which sounds like a bargain. Except that I know that for a long time the same item was priced at exactly four pounds. Was this just clever marketing or is it untruthful?

I know the law says something about these kinds of price reduction claims, but like much consumer law, its weak and little enforced. Pehaps the same item was indeed sold at between seven and eight pounds - for a few hours.

I now tentatively conclude the rip-offs are now only in  three areas: [1] standard prices; [2] muliple purchases (two for the price of one etc.) and [3] discount shelves.

There is wide interest in Sainsbury's deceptive pricing practices (NB the flapjack scandal). I agree with John that this (cynical) practice is aimed at the busy and the less numerate.

To mangle Lady Bracknell, a hundred instances may be regarded as carelessness, but 200 instances looks like a pattern!

There are four packs of 2X1 sea bass still on display today. I think that if it was the fishmonger making up his own packages then there wouldn't be a "Suitable for home freezing" tag on it. Looking at it in its natural habitat I would have to say it has every appearance of a scam. It is even up on a top shelf so that you do not see the label on the fish but just the one third off stuff. Very naughty tactics and might explain Sainsbury's recent 2.5% increase in half yearly profits.

I forgot to check the bread. Maybe there was a special offer on 5x1 loaves. It could have worked out a bargain.

Sainsbury's just sent us a bunch of tweets on this:

sainsburys6:09pm via Intelligent Social Media Manager

@harringayonline Hi, sorry for the confusion with this point of sale. All of the information needed is there. If you look at the...1/4

...product label it will depict the quantity of fish in each pack. 300g is the ‘marked minimum’ weight for this...2/4

...fresh counter sea bass which is something customers have told they like. Our buyers team have...3/4

...certainly taken your feedback on board about this though. Thanks again, Mark 4/4

They have taken the feedback but ignored it. The same "accidental" misleading pricing with the packs positioned above eye level are still there. It must be a good earner.

All sorted and more clear now. The 1 No. packet containing 2 No. individually priced £2.99 Sea Bass totalling £5.98 have been relaced by 2 no. Sea Bass in one pack but the price has increased to £7.00. Sainsbury are listening

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service