Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Earlier in the year I mentioned the campaign of local, Martin Ridley, to reduce the level of use coaches are able to make of Finsbury Park.

After the weekend's Feis, Martin has again raised the issue of damage caused by large vehicles to the park and has posted a few photos on his Facebook group.

Tags for Forum Posts: arsenal, coaches, finsbury park

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too have been pretty appalled by the state of the park in the wake of this third commercial use of the park in two months (the first two were lengthily-encamped funfairs), and I'm glad someone else has flagged it up.

Unlike many fair/festival sites, Finsbury Park is not farmland or, as far as I know, common land. It was laid out to be a city park much like Central or Victoria Parks.  But there's a lot less room to play with here, and a good third of the land in this corner has been ruined for the use of the neighbourhood in the summer weather.

I'm sure it's great to get revenue from the park which may support its upkeep, but this year, it's tipped over for me into obstruction of its basic functions (every funfair/festival blocks my route to work for up to two weeks; the second was a bad joke, but I couldn't believe it when I saw barriers going up AGAIN).

What a terrible mess.  I agree the park is being overused by commercial ventures of this kind which not only close it off but seem to be wrecking it after they have gone.  I was also none too pleased at being kept awake on Saturday night by the howlings of Bob Dylan (ducks to avoid irate hippies)

I was at Feis on Saturday and was pretty appalled by the bad management of the event (there were definitely too many people and there were not nearly enough loos, with obvious consequences). The ground was totally muddy and slippery and there were very few walkways provided. And clearly that made me worry about what the state of the park would be at the end of the event.

I left quite early as I didn't feel safe and actually missed Bob Dylan - I also feel ripped off as the tickets were really expensive. I am hoping the event organisers paid enough money to rent the park and that there is now money to restore the damage....but I am not holding my breath. I agree that this was an unsuitable venue for a festival of this kind. 

You know, I'm a fan & patron of festivals, but given their frequency nowadays, there's really no excuse for such bad management, especially by an experienced, relatively local promoter (Vince Power). The lack of loos is colourfully described by this review too: http://theglamourcave.blogspot.com/2011/06/london-feis-finsbury-par...

I notice that this newly launched 'Feis' franchise features in a very recent public floating of Power's promotions company by the way: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13776233

So any publicity about the physical damage that the event has caused (aside from fluffy muso feelings about Bob et al, which I kind of share) would hopefully have some impact (HELLO HORNSEY JOURNAL?)

I've actually gone so far as to write to the Parks people, and cc'd to Zena Brabazon (who has responded really speedily), as I think it's worth kicking up a fuss over making events organizers use the space sustainably.

Right, I think I've reached my soapbox-standing limit for today!

Rather Oasis than Dylan though....! What's next, Neil Young? *shudders* ;D

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service