Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Further proof that crime is attracted to the area via the Bookies.

Punter robbed in bookies raid

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What you do on your own garden wall is totally up to you. You can call it your pet hobby or your pet vice, so long as it isn't harming anyone else.
What Alan W. said was that horse racing was one of his many and varied hobbies, and he obviously enjoys the element of gambling that adds a bit of spice and extra interest to his spectating.

Of course this is not to go along with government or local authority permissiveness that allows a ludicrous multiplicity of gambling dens. Nor is it to deny the obvious facts of addiction, 'victims' or gambling-related crime.

On the other hand (to declare an interest) my uncle was a bookie, but a responsible one. He ran a tight but welcoming shop and I don't think he ever had a window smashed.
Alan I'm sure its true that "not all gamblers are low life scum." Doubtless there will be users of betting shops who are well-respected members of their communities, but that will be in spite of and not because of their gambling habit. You might agree that there's a big difference on the one hand, in having a bet on the Grand National every year and on the other hand, regularly putting a week's wages into a Fixed Odds Betting Terminal (AKA the crack cocaine of gambling).

Your own "hobby" seems to fall somewhere in the middle and while you may have your habit under control, you might also agree that there are those who do become addicted. Betting chains make token payments to GamCare which is the "industry" recognition of the problem.

Few would argue for the closure of all betting shops, but the number of betting shops in Green Lanes must surely be close to a saturation or super-saturation level, encouraged by permissive (lax) government regulation.

The topic of this thread – crime related to betting shops – takes different forms: high cash turnover businesses will always tend to attract robbers, but the most visible aspect is the vandalizing of the FOBTs and premises' windows, etc. where an unlucky (mug-) punter lets out his frustration at losing. The least obvious is where betting shops may be used for money laundering.

Unlikely. I don't drink.
Armed robbery at Ladbrokes in Hornsey

The Independent carries a story today about another incident of crime and betting shops ...

MASKED robbers raided a Hornsey bookmakers with a gun yesterday.

The pair held up Ladbrokes, in Campsbourne Parade, High Street, at gunpoint, at around 11.15am, hitting the 32-year-old manager in the back and stealing cash from the shop.

Police believe they ran away down Birkbeck Road.

Both are believed to be men, one around 6ft 3inches the other 5ft 8inches.

Anyone with information can contact Detective Sergeant Adam Rodger, of Finchley Flying Squad, on 0208 358 1751 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Armed robber admits Green Lanes raid
A gentleman was arrested by police outside Ladbrokes (opp. Post Office) at about 3:30 PM this afternoon. My attention was attracted by shouting; it was unclear whether this was more betting shop related crime or not ...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service