Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi I'm entering the 2nd hand car wold and need a reliable mechanic ti accompany me to see a car.  Obviously, I would pay - but its really important that you know your cars!  I also realise that it is my decision in the end - but just need someone for advice.  Let me know. 07800682355.

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hannah, I'm not offering and not least because I'm not a mechanic! I learnt the basics from my father who did his own work on cars. One's ears, eyes and nose help.

Do you have a particular model in mind?

You can get a much better deal by buying privately, second hand, but there's a plethora of makes and models out there, all with strengths and weaknesses. Some have better, much better reputations for reliability than others. How will you know if a mechanic is reliable or not?

I suggest doing some research on the net to establish make- and model- reliability first. Ignore the mileage figure and concentrate on condition. The best car I ever owned was bought from a friend, with nearly 300,000 km on the clock (it was a well-maintained Honda Accord).

I've often bought a car on  ebay. But one thing I learned is only pay with Paypal. Then if any faults not declared etc come up soon then you can legitimately make a claim for the repair.

The AA offer a mechanical and all over check on used cars from £128 for members, and more for non-members. Pretty sure the other orgs do the same....

If the car you are interested in is over 3 years' old you should insist it's taken for a new MOT: This won't show any faults with engine or gearbox ( except maybe gross ones ) but it's a cheap check on most other things.

Thanks all so much.  I was looking at a BMW 3 series convertible.  I've done quite a lot of research and know things to check etc.  But you're right you get a much better deal privately 2nd hand.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service