Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has for the first time used his new Land Fund to purchase the site at St Ann’s Hospital  – a deal which will enable the redevelopment of the hospital and provide hundreds of new homes – half of which will be genuinely affordable.

Sadiq struck the deal with Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust to buy the site, which will deliver up to 800 new homes, with 50 per cent being affordable.

The Mayor said he is committed to working closely with the local people, including St Ann’s Redevelopment Trust (StART), to deliver affordable homes for the local community. His office has already begun discussions with StART about the future development of the site for homes for local people.

Marlene Barrett, Chair of St Ann's Redevelopment Trust, said: “For years residents in Haringey have been working to realise our vision of a community-led development on the St Ann's hospital site that delivers genuinely affordable homes for people in the borough, while maintaining the site’s health legacy and important biodiversity and heritage aspects.

We welcome the Mayor's decision to purchase the site and work with us. We hope our community can now realise its vision for the maximum possible number of long-term genuinely affordable homes, and that the development will serve as a new model for building large-scale, community-led housing and making the best use of public land in London.”

Huge congratulations to the team at StART. Although, I imagine it's a bit of a bitter-sweet ending, I hope that Khan's intervention delivers everything they hoped for.

Full article here.

Tags for Forum Posts: st ann's redevelopment

Views: 2041

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are three types of affordable housing - social rented (council rent levels), discount market rent and discounted purchase. The second type is the most commonly used type these days. The level of discount usually provided means that although its' cheaper that privately rented, it comes nowhere close to social rented levels. I'm assuming that genuininely affordable means housing at social rent levels. 

The starting point for 'genuinely affordable' is the average (median) gross household income in the local area. So it should reflect local needs and affordability. StART defines 'rent affordably' to mean spending no more than one third of gross household income on rent.

StART has produced a Housing Allocation Survey - to seek feedback and data on what local people hope for. It covers: local connection, homes for rent, income levels, property sizes, homes for sale, homes for health & social care workers and more. 

We aim to get 1000 responses by 31st July - to influence the decision making for the St Ann's site.

There are paper copies of the survey in circulation; hopefully a link to an online version on the StART website very soon.

Thank you. That's a better response!

Great to hear this news. I was wondering if this would be the perfect opportunity to build a new Cycle path through the St Anns Site to escape the dangers of Green Lanes. Its much flatter than Wrightman Road and could be a nice ride parallel to Green lanes, flat, peaceful and safe away from the traffic. The only obstacles would be going under the railway and over the new river. But im sure it could be done, especially with now that the Mayor has bought the St Anns site.

Is it worth starting a seperate thread about this?

I agree that would be very positive

overall it's good news there will be more affordable housing involved anyway though i agree it puts more pressure on local parks and services, so yes encourageing more cylcing woudlldmaybe help relieve some of that

I asked about this on another thread and someone said there is an old foot tunnel from when there was a train station that could potentially be reopened as a cycle way. 

The amount of work and thought that has gone in to getting this far is truly awesome and Its really exciting to hear the positivity here on HOL. It's really easy to get involved. You can turn up to the public meetings with are generally held in the Community centre in Chestnuts park (next one is on the 23rd.) You can also join StART here: https://www.startharingey.co.uk

By Joining you make us stronger - the more of the local community that join - the more leverage we all have politically to get things done!

StART will be having a stand at our Street party on Avondale Rd tomorrow see some of you there I hope.

The vision for the site is really impressive, I hope the outcome is the same. It’ll be great to have some shops/cafes round there.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service