Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Obviously playground grade argument is something you didnt leave behind now you're no longer a teacher."

Blimey, Mr. K.  What sort of teachers do you hang around with?

Anyone interested in meeting me in a Green Lanes café on Saturday morning should message me.

Please be aware that not only can I not afford to buy refreshments for you, it would probably also be illegal.  Therefore, you will have to buy your own coffee. 

I am certain that this is one issue with which the local Labour Party (especially the St Ann's branch) and I are in total agreement: the democratic process can be upheld only by absolutely respecting all election laws and processes.

Actually the St Ann's Labour Party only broke the rules in their own rulebook which is why they are so sanguine about it.

I know of no Green Lanes cafés. Did you mean a cafe? Same old Tories ;)

Oh John, how could you refer to any one of those lovely eateries on Green Lanes, with such good coffee and horribly tempting pastries as a cafe?

The word is " caff "

Yes.  That is the usual way I would spell it--but since I tend to reserve schoolmarmy grammatical corrections for the more …um -- how do I put this… argumentative contributors, and since Mr. M (whether he agrees with me or not) is so very reasonable, I had absolutely no desire to make an issue of it.  
In any case, I have heard people referring to a (phonetically written)  "kafe", so who's to say who is right in this instance?

No John, the word is cafe. Tonight I had a bottle of Leffe, you do not pronounce the e at the end unless it has an accent over it. How do you and other Telegraph readers pronounce Pinot Noir?

Telegraph readers do not even recognise the existence of Pinot Noir being produced in France ( ugh ) and the antipodean colonies - well really !/

WHAT??????

YOU DON'T PRONOUCE THE "E" AT THE END OF "LEFFE"???????

Oh, bugger.  There goes MY credibility.

Hmmm...I've lived in Harringay my entire life and I always say Cafe by pronouncing the 'e' at the end. That is the way to say it in standard English isn't it? 

The same as the letter H, I've always used aych rather than haych.  

What was really interesting was when I was 14 and I helped out with cake sales in both Chesntuts Park and also in Elthorne Park (In Archway). We were selling H Muffins (standing for Healthy Muffins) as part of a Green and Healthy fair. The interesting bit was that in Chesnuts Park, everyone pronounced it like, "an aych muffin", on the other hand most people at Elthorne Park everyone pronounced it like, "a haych muffin"...interesting that we all live in the same side of the Thames but pronounce things differently!

There's a difference between a Caff and a Café, isn't there?  A caff sells egg, sausage and chips, thick slices of bread with the butter already on it, and mugs of tea.  A café sells eggs benedict on wheat-free muffins, with a latte.  I tend to eat baked potatoes at the caff at the end of my road.  I ride horses and have to watch my weight--so I resist the croissant call of the cafés.

As for the "aitch" v "haitch".  I have to admit to feeling hideously embarrassed when someone says "haitch".  That was considered a dreadfully illiterate fox pass when I was growing up.

Depends John, if you are in the French or Flemish speaking part of Belgium.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service