Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Job duplications? Any evidence?

No, I suppose you don't need it.

Confessed motivation?  Please elucidate.  To what did I confess?

You confessed to being motivated by the Baby-P case. Just a hypothetical headline but here we go: Baby-P Mayor in abuse of office scandal: uses official headed paper in attempt to exonerate violent grandson who has been kicked out by his girlfriend for abusing her toddler.

Something like that anyway.

"Baby-P Mayor in abuse of office scandal: uses official headed paper in attempt to exonerate violent grandson who has been kicked out by his girlfriend for abusing her toddler."

John, are you SERIOUS??????

Please somebody -- anybody -- please tell me this is just gossip!!!!!

The Tottenham Journal has been refused the letter from an FOI on the grounds that it is part of an ongoing investigation. Stevenage tell me they can't find it. I expect the investigation (Standards Committee?) to finish some time after May 22nd. Gossip? Quite possibly but I hope you're not afraid of a visit from Haringey Child Services yourself.

Yes, I knew about the <Child D> case, John.  I had some involvement in it, although less than a very good friend, Clive Carter, who is running for the LibDems in Highgate.  He is the only LibDem I know who actually DOES stuff, btw. 

In confirmation of what I have been saying about the monopolistic nature of Haringey council, I paste this warning quoted in the Telegraph, from Child D's father (an active trade unionist when younger).

“I studied Sovietology for years, the single party, the single state, and it’s the way to understand Haringey. You’re the enemy if you dare challenge. Our case shows how any evidence can be made to seem deviant. A state in which this can happen is a state out of control. Everyone makes mistakes but Haringey’s programming is: 'We make sure that no one finds out.’"

Haringey have form on this.  A similar kidnapping threat on trumped-up charges was made to Nevres Kemal when her whistleblowing brought the Baby P issue to light.

Every time the Council are caught out, they issue a proclamation to the effect that they acknowledge procedures were not followed but that they have 'learned from their mistakes', or something along those lines. 

But we all know different, don't we?  They haven't learned because you cannot learn anything when you are drunk.  In this case, the brew of choice is 50 years of scarcely controlled power.

Actually, I don't need to reveal my source Alan.  He was talking about something else but let's just consider the Homes For Haringey scandal, reported in the Ham and High (I tracked that one down to Sept 26, 2013).  I should think the Tottenham Independent covered it as well.  Is there enough proof in that article, detailing the £3.7m wasted as Council employees were paid to do nothing and repairs not made were billed for?  And while I am on the subject, what about all those overpaid and transitory "consultants" employed on short term contracts to make long-term decisions for the housing and social services?

Then your interviewee should be more careful in his use of English. If he doesn't value his staff more than his gadgets, that will make for a miserable school.

My pension doesn't come from Haringey. It comes from the Teachers' Pension Association. This is a national body that doesn't try to create thousands of  duplicated pension schemes, but just does one job very well for thousands of people.  A bit like having one organisation that co-ordinates school provision across a borough, so things like teachers' centres can support all the schools in a locality, instead of each school being a island behind a drawbridge.

Or, Pam, a group of schools enchained together within a miniature (but rapidly expanding) education "authority"; named after and honouring the former owner of a chain of carpet shops.

Children, give thanks to Lord Harris. Then sing "our" favourite song: based on the teaching of Jesus: "Don't build your house on the sandy land.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Good grief, is that a hoax?

60 years ago, we had all those things / activities except ( obviously ) for the computers. But they wouldn't have been much use as our school didn't have electricity.

Yes, I was there...we used to look forward to the canings, to get our hands warm.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service