Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jerry you say that you are a lefty and describe Haringey Labour as right wing and then in the same breath advocate the Barnet Easy Council model of privatising 70% of the councils functions as the way forward! I am a huge fan of holding a mixture of views issues but really ? Barnet ? 

Emine Ibrahim

Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)

Although it's a little old now, this PPB shows how Conservative-run councils *do* take environmental issues very seriously. Have a watch. Jerry, although Cameron has gone quiet on his "Vote Blue, Go Green" rhetoric, Conservatives in local government where, arguably it matters most, have not. 

Phil

I do think this debate about what is defined as a "local issue" has become rather long and it is clear that there are different perceptions of what is a "local issue" and there is no answer that is 100% correct. I do think that in order to tackle this misconception some parties have created, local authorities need to be clearer about the roles and duties to local residents. The bedroom tax is something the local authority deals with 100% no ifs no buts. The council collects rents and the council is responsible for rehousing those affected by it. The council is impacted if residents cannot meet the shortfall. This therefore is entirely a local council issue. On the issue of the NHS councils deal with adult health and social care too anything that happens in the NHS has a direct impact on local services. Education is dealt with as you know by local authorities too. So i am not entirely sure what you mean by "local issues" because yes highways, roads, enforcement, licensing etc are key functions of local authorities but they are only a part. And even these functions are subject to national policy and guidelines.

I do certainly think however that councils need to do far more in terms of engagement and communications in order to ensure that residents fully understand and can engage constructively with the isuues we see across the borough.

Emine Ibrahim

Phil

I think now we get to the point and where we will disagree. I think local people need both. If I am speaking to a resident and their issue is with their local hospital or that they cannot meet their rent shortfall it would be appalling of me to say "oh isn't that sad but there is nothing i can do about that bye". This is essentially the line other parties are advocating. We know that campaigning can make a difference and have an influence and ALL candidates should be willing to campaign on behalf of residents about issues which matter to them. Yes if there is a huge pothole or a premises flouting licensing rules cllrs can report and chase until resolved but these are not the only issues which come up much as the Lib Dems would like us to believe they are.

Emine Ibrahim

Totally agree!!! Well said!

You see, Emina, that final paragraph in the posting above is everything I hate about what politics has become.  What do those words actually *mean*? 

"I do certainly think however that councils need to do far more in terms of engagement and communications in order to ensure that residents fully understand and can engage constructively with the isuues we see across the borough."

Are you trying to say "Councillors should listen to their voters"?

I would regard that as a given needing no statement and yet the way you are expounding, it appears to be a policy.  To my mind, that is like announcing we should all be allowed to breathe while we are alive.

Lydia my use of the word chuztpah refers to much of what you have said not just the title. But lets be clear here i have managed to string together from your various comments that you have stood in an election of some kind on 3 occasions and this is your forth. Its hardly "Lydia taking a leap" !

Oh yawn, back to that.  

Possibly you are too young to realise that when people move on (quite obviously you have never done that), they move on.  Political parties were the last thing on my mind this time last month, or even this time three weeks ago and for the past 9 years previously.  Going back to having to keep a rational head when talking to cut-and-pasters blathering about "engagement and communications in order to ensure that residents fully understand and can engage constructively with the issues we see across the borough...." required a jump, believe me.

I presume you last comment was directed at me Justin not Lydia :)

Without sounding too personal, you will just be, if elected, another Labour councillor. Cannon fodder, if you like? Haringey, unless it wakes up, is heading towards a one-party state. Regardless of one's politics, that should alarm anyone and everyone who claims to be a democrat. The LDs are peddling the lie that they will "seize" control of the council. Not only will that *not* happen, they are facing total wipe-out (for good reasons--not least because their councillors never took the business of opposition remotely seriously).  Local Conservatives, on the other hand, are being honest and realistic. Labour *is* going to massively tighten their already iron grip of the council. A couple of Conservative councillors will attempt to keep their on their toes and hold them to account. That's what we're about in local terms. For that reason alone, let's hope the Greens make some progress in Alexandra ward, their top target ward. Justin (Agent and Chair, Tottenham Conservatives).

I was referring to the comment about someone's shopping trolley veering to the far left. I assume even though it was under Lydia's comment the Tottenham Tories have not decided to recruit their candidates from the WRP. I can only presume you consider my comments to be far left.

Emine

The Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)

I don't really consider anything you say, sadly. All you seem to do is pop up with vague platitudes. You are standing for a party which has run and ruined Haringey for 50 years;  keeps slashing vital local services whilst handing more of our cash to the communications' (spin) department; charges the 5th highest Council Tax anywhere in London and dismisses anyone and everyone who dares to challenge you. That's your record. Now, the question Harringay (and other) voters need to seriously ask themselves is this, "what difference will ANOTHER Labour councillor make?". You can't answer that question because we all know what the answer is, don't we? Justin (Agent and Chair, Tottenham Conservatives)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service