Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10420

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In former years, Jerry, my left-wing Labour colleagues would never have regarded me as one of them; but as one of the right-wingers they were trying to outvote.

But I'm not a Tory. And won't support a few Tories who - I imagine something like this must have  happened - wandered by mistake into the wrong room at university after the sellotaped sign saying "Labour Students" had peeled off the door.

Thankfully Claire Kober and her cabal are not the whole Labour Party. There are still Labour candidates with Labour principles. Seek them out and ask some basic questions. Voting for them if you're satisfied with the answers. For example, ask them about inequality; and about the NHS.  Ask if they support the Claire Kober/Alan Strickland/Joe Goldberg line of selling out to developers and social cleansing? Or the Kober/Ann Waters view that our schools should be handed to the Harris Federation?  Do they condemn the vote-rigging and rule-breaking in St Ann's ward?

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor. Labour Party member)

Thats a very sweeping statement Jerry have you spoken to every candidate in Haringey ?

Ok, Emina: Now for the inevitable. 

Do you agree with the local Labour Party on the St Ann's vote rigging?

With the knowledge that the West of the borough, South Tottenham & Harringay are established communities, what is your perspective on your party's social cleansing in Tottenham (N17)? 

And what do you think of the hard right wing policies in the Haringey Labour Party?

I personally blame the St Anns Labour party for that too!!!!!!

Really do not want to Hijack this post but, GUNNERS!!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrr......

Jerry, shouldn't you have ended that post with something condescending like "dear" - as you did with Sharon?

Apparently, you haven't read the St Ann's "story" and understood Emine's part in it.  And perhaps the pressures put on a whistleblower in any setting - including political parties.  And her bravery in speaking out. Or maybe you have and are simply enjoying scoring a point?

Or perhaps I'm getting completely the wrong end of the stick?  So maybe it would be helpful if you said a little something about yourself. Such as where you stand on the political spectrum? And the source of your undoubted expertise about Tottenham.

By the way, I claim no expertise at all.  I just live here; wander round a bit; talk to people;  and glean anything else I can - mostly from reading Harringay Online.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Honesty, Alan, it is reasonable to expect anyone working in politics to answer questions about their political affiliation but it isn't very polite to be so direct to anyone else.  What you do by demanding to know how people vote is to ask them whether they are worthy of your attention.  You surprise me.  I didn't think you resorted to that sort of thing.

Lydia, if you're a candidate you should always be asking people how they intend to vote.  Not demand. Politely request. One reason - which you know of course - is that it avoids you ringing doorbells on Polling Day and reminding the opposition to go out and vote against you.

But your assumption that only residents who promise to vote for you are "worthy of your attention"?  That's irony, yes?

Maybe, but since you are not running again, then the situation is different.  I just thought it a bit ill-mannered Alan, don't read any more into it than that.

? Was not really aware of Emina's role in St Ann's. But I suppose that is now answered! Thanks Alan for the clarification. I do apologise Emina for questioning you on that. 

Nationally I support the Green Party (so I'm a lefty) but locally I vote to prevent Labour retaining control of the council. 

Being Green sort of puts me in a neutral position to comment on the main three parties, and I can see that in Haringey, the Lib Dems (particularly in Harringay) are much more hard working and their councillors are much more productive compared to Labour. And in general, I feel that the Conservatives run their councils better than Labour (Barnet vs Haringey).  

I also feel that people who live in Haringey who are voting in May and looking to vote for a genuine left wing party should vote Green. 

Jerry, why do you think environmental initiatives are 'lefty' ... re your comment; Nationally I support the Green Party (so I'm a lefty) ? I say environmental initiatives because that's still at the core of the Green Party historically and I'd argue currently.

Plenty of businesses are involved in implementing and making happen such environmental initiatives (eg. the technologies needed for more efficient energy systems, but the individuals that make these businesses work probably vote across the whole spectrum of political parties). 

Many such initiatives are now mainstream because they're sensible and save money. In fact I wouldn't even call such policies & implementation 'green' anymore. Maybe the Green Party needs to change its name and start to have some real policies for the many issues that affect our societies - becoming something on the left that challenges the more right wing policies of Labour & possibly the Lib-dems.  The Green Party needs to grow up.

What do you think?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service