Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Eons ago, before the mists of time, back at start of the year, it felt like we had some sort of functioning democracy in Harringay. It was by no means perfect and I've been critical of it in the past, but it was there and anyone who wanted to could have reasonable access. 

Now, I'm starting to wonder what's happening. Our newly elected local representatives seem to be shunning open discussion on HoL, the GLSG dissolved itself, and now I've just received an email telling me:

The meeting of the Harringay and St. Ann’s Area Forum and Committee scheduled to take place on Monday 6th October has been postponed and will be held in early November.  I will write to you again in the near future to inform you of the new date once it has been fixed.

As I said, it was far from perfect before, but at least it was there and I felt that I had an ability to have some sort of discourse with our representatives. I haven't yet worked out how much I care or how much difference the change in the status quo will make, but I'm pretty sure it should matter greatly to me.

(I've hesitated before punching the publish button on this because I neither intend nor want it to be the catalyst for an all-out assault on our local politicians. So, should anyone be moved to respond, balanced considered thoughts only please.)

Views: 1011

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pav, tl:dr (or tldr) is a request for conciseness - "too long; didn't read". Which apparently editors used, to suggest a writer needed to cut stuff out.

(One of my schoolteachers once wrote "loquacious" on the bottom of my essay. I didn't know what the word meant, but liked the sound. When I ignored the hint, he put SMATE. See me at the end.)

A strawman argument is a logical fallacy, where you simplify or misrepresent your opponent's argument, so you can critique something your opponent hasn't said.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service