Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Maybe just so much scrap metal to some...

Two out of three of these are for the chop...

Tags for Forum Posts: hornsey gasholder

Views: 1385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The one with the diagonal lattice structure was one of the earliest examples built, and one of the few of its kind left, so I would argue that it should have been preserved in one way or another, even if that meant moving it to another site rather than just scrapping it.

Just because something is old doesn't make it attractive. Or so my mirror tells me.

People become attached to all sorts of nonsense if they spend enough time with it. The mind loves familiarity. Abusive partners; archiachic systems, crap products from regular adverts; ideas about the world that distorts our success. It's never ending etc.

It's a flaw in our psychology to help us work as a tribe and conform.

I really don't think it's helpful to compare those of us who have a fondness for industrial architecture to those who are stuck with an abusive partner. That way everybody gets insulted. After that I'm completely lost. I know it's not germane to the thread but I quite like tangents- I go off on them myself- so could you give me an example please of an "idea about the world that distorts our success". I can't for the moment match up the two parts of that phrase.

Ideas like the full moon gravitational pull effects our mood or that women become tuned to each other and their periods sink ( more than randomly) . Old ideas that have kicked around so long we kind of love to cling onto them but which just are not true.

Mark's right, Antoinette, these are a bit special. There was once a very interesting link to someone who'd written extensively about them. But even if they weren't special we can still be fond of them. And there aren't thousands in Haringey where we're likely to go walking. "Industrial heritage" doesn't have to involve matching the old with something new. Things can be left as they are as reminders. The word heritage has become a bit debased- they're just part of our history and opinions will differ on them. To me they were at their best when the sun was going down on them. The King's Cross ones were famous and film directors, men and women with an eye attuned to landscape, loved them. Oh and Tate Modern is Bankside not Battersea.

Lovely images, thanks. Here's something to remember these historic landmarks by
http://www.joangell.com/joangell/2016/6/19/hornsey-no1-gasholder

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service