Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local Harringay ward Councillor James Ryan has resigned. There will be a selection meeting by the Labour Party followed by a far more perfunctory by-election.

Zena Brabazon!!!! Please stand in our ward!

Local Labour Party members, please select Zena!

More details here and here. Expect Council Leader Claire Kober to have an alternative candidate in mind.

Tags for Forum Posts: by-election, democracy, labour, politics

Views: 7950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all
Just as an update as there appears to be some confusion on here about the date and the notice. On the notice of casual vacancy which Alan had posted on here it's states in the last line that an election will be held with 35 days of two electors in Haringey sending a written notice requesting an election to the Chief Exec and Returning Officer. A date cannot be set until that happens. It is likely that people may have been told that that's the earliest it can be.

I handed in two written notices today at the Civic centre one from myself. The notice of the date will likely go up on the website within the date in next couple of days.

The formal Notice of a Casual Vacancy was dated Friday 17 June. As I understand the process, any two electors could have made a request to the Chief Executive as soon as the notice was published.

That's right however that happened today and now a date will be set

Why did you want such a quick poll, Emina? I gather the date is Thursday, 28th July, 2016?

I don't think there is a date on council website yet. August would be dreadful for turn out

For Pat Egan, who died in July, the by-election was held in OCTOBER!

Pat Egan died on July 19th a whole month later. The election was on October 2nd I would suspect to avoid August

Right, so can we have 7th September?

The school holidays start on the 15th of July. Back at the end of August.

I don't know where you have got your dates from John. Haringey schools start summer holidays on 22nd July and return on 5 September. If it was the following week then I am sure there would be cries of foul play as the lib Dems hold their autumn conference in second week of September

Is it true that James Ryan has been apprenticed to Neil Protheroe since May 2014? Someone at the Salisbury last night whispered to me that they were both lovely fellows whenever they turned up.

[Purely in the interests of fairness and balance, as Alan requested.]

Perhaps a "unity" candidate can be found to stop Labour from picking up another councillor?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service