Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local Harringay ward Councillor James Ryan has resigned. There will be a selection meeting by the Labour Party followed by a far more perfunctory by-election.

Zena Brabazon!!!! Please stand in our ward!

Local Labour Party members, please select Zena!

More details here and here. Expect Council Leader Claire Kober to have an alternative candidate in mind.

Tags for Forum Posts: by-election, democracy, labour, politics

Views: 7941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, Frober.  Karen and David were both excellent Councillors; intelligent and dilligent

Agree Karen was great.  She did a lot in starting the traffic studies that the current Councillors seem out of their depth on

Nora Mulready is standing!!!! Priceless. It could be a rerun of 2010.

Nora Mulready is the Conservative candidate, who'll be the Labour candidate though? 

Oh that's brilliant!

500 votes could win it.

If the Cyclists and the Close Wightman dudes get out of their respective saddles and vote, they could put in a single issue independent Councillor.

Imagine the media coverage.

No, 6 votes will win the Labour selection. And then yes, it could be as low as 500 votes to win the election. Schmitzy or Karen?

Local Harringay Councillor resigns!

How the hell would one notice so earthshaking an event?

Let Karen & David decide which one will stand - then we all get behind them, whatever our usual persuasions in the past.

John is going on rumour. Resignation isn't 'official' ... yet.

Well it's officially unofficial, or unofficially official. Either way, John's information is not misleading. 

My understanding is that a councillor resigns when they formerly notify the Chief Executive. Also that a such a formal notification may have been sent from James Ryan to Mr Walkley.
There is a variation of this when someone signs an undated letter and then there's informal  negotiation with other people also standing down - including the chief whip of the other party. This is purely to minimise expense and possibly to avoid a succession of by-elections; or a polling day date which coincides with say, religious festivals which might make it harder for some electors to vote.
It's reasonable to assume that each of the different parties has rules to follow in their selection of by-election candidates. And that nobody has any automatic right to be selected.

"or a polling day date which coincides with say, religious festivals which might make it harder for some electors to vote."

You what? Our general elections are in May when students are doing exams!!!! No wonder they don't vote! I had no idea that you might be able to take into account religious (minority) dates. Ugh, it is all clear to me now.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service