Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I wasn't going to say this as I'm loathe to criticise someone's choice of employer for their first job. I did however think it was a bit off that Adam Jogee was working as a researcher for Terrapin Communications. Why did I think this was off? Well, their list of clients included the three firms currently bidding to run a large part of the council'sour land in a 20 year "partnership" deal. I asked around and was told that he was a good boy and was being responsible about it. He's now the Majority Chief Whip.

So then I come across THIS POST on OpinioN8 which is Crouch End's version of HoL. There it states that

Councillor Kober has dined six times at Terrapin's expense, once in Cannes. Detail on the lunches decreases over time.

Councillor Strickland was also at this dinner in Cannes and has dined at Terrapin's expense another four times.

Councillor Jason Arthur - twice, recently, with Peter Bingle and again with another partner, Christian Klapp.

Go see the post on OpinioN8, click on the links. See for yourself. Adam was a just graduated student when he became a Labour councillor, now he's a researcher for perhaps the country's best known Tory lobbyist.

Martin Ball pointed some of this out to us about 18 months ago and we were all a bit meh. Presumably we consider it slightly off to worry about who pays for someone else's lunch. However, Terrapin's client list should give us cause for concern given what is also happening with Hornsey Town Hall. Have we been duped here?

Tags for Forum Posts: corruption, haringey, haringey development vehicle, hornsey town hall, opinion8, terrapin

Views: 6837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Or flies on the turd....

Cllr Jogee did not respond to the Ham&High’s request for comment.

Cllrs Kober, Strickland and Arthur did not respond to the Ham&High’s request for comment.

Here's another Bingle item from the Internet archive, on the website "Left Foot Forward" in 2011. Seems a perfect chap for the KoberTories to hobnob with.

Cllr Jogee's boss keeps delightful company.  Or rather, did as of 2008

"...you have in the past worked for General Pinochet, Thaksin Shinawatra, Mark Thatcher, BAE Systems, the South African National Party, Boris Berezovsky and the Governments of Saudi Arabia, Syria and Iraq..."

oh, and Newport Council.

Announcing! Entirely without charge to my fellow members of the public. To celebrate the victory of the Let's Do Lunch tendency. Here's my botch-up of a brand new logo celebrating "Who They Are". And who exactly are they? The unfunniest scary-clowns you've ever seen.

Osbawn, please stick away!
And by the way, I have no idea if and when other "free" and enjoyable lunches were munched & quaffed which came in under the £50 legal limit for declaration.  

Given our booming upscale London food scene, I'd like to think there are posh eateries catering for the special needs of lobbyists and corporate "partners" to entertain local politicians oh-so-discreetly.
"Good Evening, Madam, Sir.  So nice to see you again.  Should I bring you the 'Totally- -shameless-who-gives-a damn-I'm-famished-let-it-all-hang-out-literally-menu?
Or would Sir and Madam perhaps prefer our 'low-profile-keep-it-among-friends' £49.99 luncheon special?

Osbawn, here's another logo you're welcome to use or adapt. Though Cllr Joe Goldberg's JoeGo Logo was egostistical waste, at least it's easy to parody.

When are the Stantonistas going to rise up..?

Nothing like a spurned councillor to cause a bit of trouble.

Of course the easiest thing to do, would be to scrap the Borough completely. I don't think it's ever really been successful, not even in the halcyon days when Alan was a labour councillor. Fifty or so years after the last reform, perhaps a merger with Enfield or Waltham Forest .. or a piecemeal solution would be ideal.  After all, fifty years down the line, there is still an East/ West divide in the Borough.. Perhaps merging Tottenham with Edmonton and/or Walthamstow would work better, as well as joining Hornsey  together with Barnet & Finchley. A coming together of interests, minds and more importantly, incomes! 

In the longer term, 32 Boroughs seems to be far too many to provide good governance. In fact, so many Boroughs cause more problems than they solve. I would personally prefer a regionalisation of London's Government, scrapping the Boroughs  with perhaps new East, North East, North, North West, West, South West, South and Central Regions. This would also be the time to add some of the outer areas into London, i.e Epsom & Ewell, Loughton, Borehamwood, Dartford - all part of London, but currently outside its boundaries (and more importantly, not paying their fair share into the pot). Pooling of many services, many of which have become encrusted little fiefdoms over the decades, with of course, their trivial infighting, could also be achieved.  The Regional signets should be the same Londonwide, but with a London East, London West etc., shield or marker.

Nobody except you reads my stuff, Stephen. You think that I really didn't know that all the other people commenting are really you under imaginative pseudonyms?

I've no idea what you're on about.

Your many other subscribers will no doubt also be bemused, as I am, to have witnessed your transformation from energetic local representative to, if I may say, rather bitter contributor.

Just to clear the subject up. I only post under StephenBln, have only ever done so and I'm sure that HOL Admin can confirm that only postings to that account come from my IP address.

It was a joke, Stephen. Fun.

How about putting this up as a new thread, Stephen?  Some interesting discussions to be had.

Is the GLA is doing the same job as the GLC did?

What to do with The City which works under UDI.

Also xrefs the boundary changes that may or may not happen, and the gerrymandering inbuilt to that.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service