Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I wasn't going to say this as I'm loathe to criticise someone's choice of employer for their first job. I did however think it was a bit off that Adam Jogee was working as a researcher for Terrapin Communications. Why did I think this was off? Well, their list of clients included the three firms currently bidding to run a large part of the council'sour land in a 20 year "partnership" deal. I asked around and was told that he was a good boy and was being responsible about it. He's now the Majority Chief Whip.

So then I come across THIS POST on OpinioN8 which is Crouch End's version of HoL. There it states that

Councillor Kober has dined six times at Terrapin's expense, once in Cannes. Detail on the lunches decreases over time.

Councillor Strickland was also at this dinner in Cannes and has dined at Terrapin's expense another four times.

Councillor Jason Arthur - twice, recently, with Peter Bingle and again with another partner, Christian Klapp.

Go see the post on OpinioN8, click on the links. See for yourself. Adam was a just graduated student when he became a Labour councillor, now he's a researcher for perhaps the country's best known Tory lobbyist.

Martin Ball pointed some of this out to us about 18 months ago and we were all a bit meh. Presumably we consider it slightly off to worry about who pays for someone else's lunch. However, Terrapin's client list should give us cause for concern given what is also happening with Hornsey Town Hall. Have we been duped here?

Tags for Forum Posts: corruption, haringey, haringey development vehicle, hornsey town hall, opinion8, terrapin

Views: 6833

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is an article on the senior adviser of Terrapin Communications Christian Klapp who actually stood as  Labour candidate in a bye-election in Thamesfield, Wandsworth in 2011. I find it rather strange, a former candidate for Labour backing Zac Goldsmith in the London mayoral elections, especially given how disgusting the campaign was run against Sadiq Khan. These people are only Labour in name and it seems Adam is involved with politically "loose" individuals.

Wandsworth Guardian

"These over-developments affect me just like they will affect all of us. Yet they are being voted through by councillors who either live nowhere near us or should know better but won’t stand up to their party line. It’s time for an independent voice speaking up for Putney." - non-ironic comment by CK 

In a by-election in 2011, candidate Christian Klapp was speaking out against over-development in Putney. He made a couple of very dull videos. (I've watched them so you don't have to.)

He observed that Putney is not Dubai, nor is it central London. He wanted voters "to send someone new, exciting and dynamic to Town Hall".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHzUmEc-SU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLb2c1IyPo

But Anonymoose, was Christian backing Zac Goldsmith? I couldn't find that in the link you gave.

Hi Alan,

Please see below image or link: I've also screen grabbed it in case it gets deleted.

Twitter Link

Thanks Anonymoose.
To be fair, it was five years later and Mr Klapp may have been spending time having lunches and dinners with new people holding a far wider range of political views. And with plans for far higher tower blocks.

Why have you started mentioning User's names ?

Thank you John McMullan, Thanks anon... or I agree Matthew..  Are you so concerned that we shouldn't notice your private vendetta against the Council by using other's names?

What's the reason for your nimbyism regarding providing as many homes as possible directly next to a transport hub. Probaby, the best transport link in the East of Haringey.

Going back to 1970s, the GLC I believe, built the Ferry Lane (Council) Estate, doubling the population of the Tottenham Hale area without even a thought to transport links - there was no bus service there until about 1981, when a poor Monday to Saturday was introduced. http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/_routes/current/041.html

Or is your opposition only due to the extra work load for councillors?

Sorry to be discourteous Stephen, but I really have little to about the fictions in your post. Except that I'm not conducting any private vendetta. I'm publicly and openly campaigning against a shocking destructive proposed scheme by a right-wing local council.
Your other points? We'll just have to agree to differ.

Discourteous? Not at all.. Just yet more of the 'für dumm verkaufen'...

And it's been going on for too long.

No chance now of me learning Latin, Stephen. I'm having too much fun reading Marxists in English.

Agree to differ .. OK fine. But why are you against more needed homes at Tottenham Hale? 

Perhaps because the new residents may not be safe Labour voters? Tipping the Labour majority? Political self interest before new homes?

I don't agree with @John McMullen's view that Tottenham should remain a lower working class area at all. I actually think some diversity would do it good and also make possible a change in the political arithmetic at last.

Straw man, Stephen.
He doesn't exist and doesn't say the things you're making up and arguing against.

Now who was the wise man who mistook the little bugger on election night 2014 for Kober's nodding donkey? 

[Should our vigilant moderator/s be poised on the verge of deleting this historical ad hominem comment, I plead mitigation on the grounds that it is intended as merely ad homunculum.]

OAE. In broad terms I think elected politicians should expect to be open to public criticism. They take and spend our money and should expect to be accountable. They make policy or, as you suggest - may behave like nodding donkeys complicitly saying nothing. (Oh so many nodding donkeys among Haringey's elected politicians.) 
I think public criticism and challenge of elected councillors goes with the job. It's never closed season. Okay someone might wish to include a few ex-councillors as well, and that's fair enough. Though I'd forget even some of the worst of them if they apologised, went on  a pilgrimage - say a walk to Canterbury, New Zealand, and solemnly promised never to seek elected public office ever again.
I'd add in senior bureaucrats too. Although by convention they are supposed to be merely servants of the politicians, that's usually untrue. Mark Carney for instance is not an office administrator at the Bank of England. And I don't remember anyone insisting for example that Sharon Shoesmith shouldn't be challenged and criticised. (Though as the Courts ruled she was entitled to proper process.)
I avoid public criticism of staff down the pecking order. But not for example the handsomely paid boss who is supposed to be managing them. If I post a photo of someone low in the hierarchy on my photoblog it's because I'm complimenting their work.

As I've said before, if people dislike what I post here, or feel I have nothing interesting to say, then why on earth do they bother do read it? Nobody forces them to.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service