Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Library Wall at the Ribbon Factory in Harringay's Warehouse District

A couple of weeks ago a group of warehouse folk launched the Library Wall in the Warehouse District's East End.

The project's website describes what its about as follows:

The Ribbon Factory Library Wall is an interactive outdoor library installation created by Artefacto. Commissioned by Haringey Arts, it is a curated collection of digitised texts, which people are able to freely obtain, read and share through the use of smartphones or other “smart” mobile devices such as ipads and tablets by pointing their device at the installation.

The project’s aim is to celebrate the role of public libraries in providing open access to cultural content in this brave, new e-book and digital publishing world.

I couldn't get to the launch myself. So many thanks to Hande for sending through the picture and a link to the project's website.

Tags for Forum Posts: ., free libraries, libraries, little free libraries, warehouse district

Views: 1359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"In this case the name was brought back into currency  by the people who live there."

You've done the research, Hugh. I haven't.  So I'm very happy to be corrected and apologise for doubting your facts.  Please tell me the evidence which shows that this name was common currency as a description for these factories and other buildings.

If you're referring to the precise term 'Warehouse District', no I don't have any evidence and the precise wording is not really my point. Industrial area, warehouse district or whatever, the description and history is accurate. The precise wording was chosen by those who've made it their own over the past two decades. Those two things give it legitimacy for me and I don't really give two hoots if there was a US influence somewhere in the mix.

I had been assuming you were taking issue with the provenance of the name rather than nitpicking at its precise wording.

I'm following Simon Schama and suggesting that in writing history we try to flee falsehood.

You seem to be airily dismissing the issue by saying that it was an: "industrial area, warehouse district or whatever"

"... Or whatever?"  But actually words matter.  How can we say that for this area "the name was brought back into currency"  if it turns out it wasn't "in currency" in the first place?

The people now living there can call it the site of the historic elephants' graveyard if they wish. And I'm sure if enough of them stick to the story, Google will relabel it. But history isn't a referendum vote about what we think happened.

Right. so you are nitpicking. The folks who live there are calling a spade a spade, if by another name.

My stance on this Alan, is that the name commonly used to describe the area has legitimacy because it's based on the area's current architecture, its history and its being chosen and used by the people who live there. There is no falsehood to flee.  

I know you have a thing about the area being called the warehouse district, but apart from that, I'm not really sure what point you're making. 

On Tiverton Rd which runs into Overbury Road we call it 'where the Hipsters live' It's a million miles away from us.

You live just beyond the Warehouse East End right? I've no idea what you guys call your area. Do you say South Tottenham?

Hannie, it's not a personal thing nor an attitude, it is true that they are very different areas and community cohesion would be great and has been discussed at length on HOL before . I would love to help bridge that gap. I've discussed this with Alay and with Shelley. Hugh, we call it 'the endz' ;-)
Hannie, I think you misunderstand me, also, I've done no name calling. I've friend requested you so we can chat. I love the warehouse community, met lots of people over there, got involved with the in house festival when there was talk of opening the spaces for the wider community and perhaps doing projects with the kids on the estate. I come in peace! X

Hugh, I have "a thing" about the construction of myths.

About the naming of names: Londonderry, Leningrad, Danzig, Hale Village; At-Swim-Two-Birds - all splendid names. As everyone completely agrees.

I notice you didn't respond to my point about "common currency". But I guess we'll just have to agree to differ. Carry on inventing.

Your main thrust seemed to be about historical justification. The history isn't invented. I'm not inventing it. There is no myth here, apart from the one you appear to be spinning. In fact arguably, I've done as much as anyone to present a full, documented and honest history of Harringay. I have no interest inventing it.

On place names, I have always said two things count. First, is there any basis in history and secondly what do the locals want. Both of those criteria are satisfied in this case. 

As to your point on evidence of common currency, yes I did respond to it, very directly. Read my response again. 

More warehouse apartments in Harringay and in the Warehouse District's east end too! Wonderful. (Also delighted for you Phil. It's going create another target for you, Everyone's a winner). Except of course we must give a moment's thought to the dilution of our area's rich naming history, The much loved 'Clothing Village' name will, it seems, disappear for good. 

We in the Tottenham War Zone are proud of our new name. As you can see from the special editions of newspapers printed just for us

War, Running, History, Loot ... We're Spoiled for Choice

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service