Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

List of council candidates who were selected on Wednesday evening:

Harringay

David Schmitz

Karen Alexander

Asha Kaur

St Anns

Mihai Ghertan

Alison Prager

Tola Ariyo

Highgate

Bob Hare

Liz Morris

Clive Carter

Muswell Hill

Gail Engert

Cara Jenkinson

Pippa Connor

Fortis Green

Martin Newton

Viv Ross

Tom Southern

Crouch End

Patrick Harte

Sarah Elliot

Brian Haley

Hornsey

Errol Reid

Dawn Barnes

Gillian Kilby

Bounds Green

Sakina Chenot

Chris Jenkinson

Michael Tiritas

Stroud Green

Katherine Reece

Richard Wilson

Ben Myring

Noel Park

Colin Heinink

Vik Seeborun

Roberto Robles

Woodside

Craig Brown

Roxy Squire

Kirsty Allan

Alexandra

Dave Beacham

Eddie Capstick

Indijana Harper

Views: 2772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sandals AND socks? Oh dear.  Our Conservative candidates will be announced in the next few days. Justin Hinchcliffe-Agent for Tottenham Conservatives and candidate for Seven Sisters Ward

Bob Hare, definitely rate for councillor. Colin Heinink ... interesting!. Dave Beacham ... OK, recently retired footballer :) As for that rabble rouser Clive Carter, those opposition candidates better watch out!

Though I did notice on an obscure website, that scientists confirmed finding at least one surviving member of what was assumed to be extinct: the Hornsey Wood Green Tory.

Called Kay Carter, this candidate is said to be a fairly reasonable sort of Tory. Except apparently for some weird irrational belief that massive cuts are nothing to do with the Coalition Government. Apparently Kay is involved in the high priority local campaign to reinstate some railings. (No, I didn't make that up.)

So watch out Clive, They know about you and are fielding a big hitter. Or is it to confuse the voters?

Alan I don't know Kay (yet), but good for her in taking part in our wonderful democratic process that many take for granted. Carter is a common name, but she's not a relation (grateful to parents for choosing first name beginning with low ordinal value).

Notes on those who are standing down, in the Ham+High.

Rachel Allison: “I’d like to see all councillors of whatever party working together for the good of residents rather than attempting to make political capital out of every single issue, no matter how trivial, though there are notable exceptions on both sides of the political divide.

“Haringey needs a strong opposition - there are far too many councillors of one party who have been running things, often badly, for too long - but blanket criticism is not the answer.”

As usual an honest and accurate comment from an outstanding councillor, Rachel Allison. Particularly from my contacts with her on issues such as the waste contract, parking fines, and some general casework issues, Rachel always seemed hardworking, thoughtful, and deeply committed to residents.

Although I've had less contact with some of the other LibDems who are not standing again, I've been very impressed with Jonathan Bloch, Jim Jenks and Juliet Solomon. And also the ex-LibDem Lyn Weber. All four have struck me as people who respect truth and consider evidence - rather than just repeating the usual party PR idiocy.

I know that some of my Labour colleagues had strong criticisms of former LibDem Leaders Cllrs Gorrie and  Williams but in my occasional dealings with Robert Gorrie I found him decent and helpful.  While I will remember Neil Williams especially for his effective, persistent and justified criticism of Cllr Charles Adje over the Alexandra Palace/Firoka affair. (Although the person who pursued this relentlessly and is owed a public debt of gratitude is Clive Carter.)

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor 1998-2014)

THIS morning, the Liberal Democrat Party issued an updated press release confirming prospective Council candidates, including those for Tottenham:

Tottenham

Harringay

David Schmitz

Karen Alexander

Asha Kaur

St Anns

Mihai Ghertan

Alison Prager

Tola Ariyo

Bruce Grove

Dan Houghton

Carolyn Baker

Ergun Kilinc

West Green

Alex Sweet

Ramazan Alma

Savas Oktay

Seven Sisters

Ilkin Goukdemir

Nigel Oxford

Hakki Tatar

Tottenham Green

Robbie Cowbury

Kathy Riddle

Neville Collins

Tottenham Hale

Jeremy Cunnington

Eliza Kaczynska Nay

Thuranie Aruliah

Northumberland Park

Leo Leonida

Valerie Mortimer

John Thompson

Whitehart Lane

Paul Head

Ali Guvercin

John Elliott

Hornsey and Wood Green

Highgate

Bob Hare

Liz Morris

Clive Carter

Muswell Hill

Gail Engert

Cara Jenkinson

Pippa Connor

Fortis Green

Martin Newton

Viv Ross

Tom Southern

Crouch End

Patrick Harte

Sarah Elliot

Brian Haley

Hornsey

Errol Reid

Dawn Barnes

Gillian Kilby

Bounds Green

Sakina Chenot

Chris Jenkinson

Ashleena Deike

Stroud Green

Katherine Reece Thomas

Richard Wilson

Ben Myring

Noel Park

Colin Heinink

Vik Seeborun

Roberto Robles

Woodside

Craig Brown

Roxy Squire

Kirsty Allan

Alexandra

Dave Beacham

John Fynaut

Indijana Harper

Disclosure:
am a prospective councillor candidate
Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

Many thanks Clive.

Does your party have the same rule as the Labour Party that candidates have to give their home addresses and not an accommodation or business address?

Do the LibDems have any rules about people who move out of Haringey? Are they expected to resign? (Labour doesn't. But of course, should have.) 

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor until May 2014)

The party's membership rules require someone to give as their 'registered address' for the party the place they live ('ordinarily resident'), work (same definition as used in election law) or study.

Mark, then it seems that Mr Hinchcliffe's suspicion/speculation is at least a theoretical possibility?  LibDem candidates might be people whose homes - as he says - are in "boroughs like Hackney, Waltham Forest etc".

So is there someone in the LibDems who can please confirm that this is wholly untrue? That your party's candidates for 22 May are "ordinarily resident" in the borough of Haringey?

As I hope you'll realise, I'm not asking to score some silly Party point. But because of the vote rigging in St Ann's ward Labour Party branch where people were signed-up as Party members who - at the time - appeared to be resident in Lisson Grove, Roehampton, Islington, Camden, Rotherhithe and Newham. While others did live in Haringey but not in St Ann's ward as required by the rules. And five of the non-resident members took part in the candidate selection meeting in September 2012.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor. My wife Zena Brabazon was one of the deselected Labour councillors for St Ann's ward.)

How many of your Tottenham candidates live in Tottenham or, even, Haringey for that matter? (Conservative Agent, Tottenham Conservatives)

You have to live in the borough. That's a rule for everybody. You can move out during your term as a couple of people have done.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service