Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We got one of those 'we are very interested in purchasing a property in your street' letters through the door this week. From someone claiming to have funds in place and 'ready to pay market value'. Have had similar from estate agents before, but never one claiming to be from an individual.

Just wondering how common this type of thing is, really - and whether anyone else here has got one from a 'Mr Stone' recently. It would be interesting to know who sends them, if they are not genuine requests.

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Call Mr Stone and tell him he's been reported to the police. Also, google the phone number, might throw up some information. Or just bin the letter, do not take I seriously. It's more than a little dodgy.

I can see how it's a mightily odd approach to house-hunting (and therefore probably dodgy in some way) but I can't for the life of me figure out how. What do you think they're doing that the police would want to know about?

My guess was that it was am estate agent/developer posing as an individual, but I genuinely don't know why they'd be taking that approach.

I know of a few friends/acquaintances who have bought or sold this way, so I agree with Alex that it isn't that odd.  Some of the property programmes on TV even suggest it as an approach from time to time.  I can't see how simply trying to make contact with a view to discussing a potential property transaction could possibly warrant police involvement unless it is part of a known scam.

I know people who have bought in this way too, but on the other hand I've had a letter like this through the door recently too. 

When doing it legitimately people are specific about what they want, i.e. We want to buy a two bedroom house in this area. When I've received this sort of letter it's always been really vague about a flat or a house, no specific size etc. That seems really dodgy to me. 

YES, this is what made me wonder - it was just 'a property in this road' - no more detail than that. I'm still intrigued to know how you could commit fraud in this way though.  Surely you can't buy a house off someone unless they implicitly agree to it in various legally binding stages.

There has been numerous attempts at fraud pulling stuff like this, I would be VERY wary. I has a similar letter when we sold ou Ladder house, and the SNT were pretty interested when I reported it.

What type of fraud? I must be missing something here

Potentially it could be all sorts of things. Once they collect your name, address, phone number, email address they can start to try and find out other things about you, the more personal information they can collect the better. At the end of the day it's probably nothing to do with your house at all.

ahh, gotcha. TBH the amount of 'scam' stories I've read on here over the years would probably make me nervous of anything that comes through the letter box now, so unlikely to ever get to that stage! I hope others aren't conned though.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service