Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

£1,500 a week for Olympics let of two bed flat in Harringay

Back in June last year. I added a post about the 2012 Olympics lettings market and mused on how it may effect Harringay. Today I got something of an answer.

This afternoon I was out in Harringay with a local businessman. We bumped into one of his clients. Charlie, from Hampden Road, shared with us what to me was almost incredible news. He told us that his downstairs neighbour had just secured an Olympics let of his two bed Hampden Road flat at £1,500 per week. Yes, PER WEEK!

Hard to believe, but apparently true. I introduced myself, explained the reason for my interest and asked Charlie which agency his neighbour had let through. He wasn't sure of the exact one, but assured me that a quick Google would offer a range of agencies.

Sure enough and here's a Google search on 'London olympics lettings'.

Diving into a randomly chosen site seems to suggest that the figure Charlie quoted is pretty realistic. The site I looked at included:

Mountview Road 5 bed house at £9,995 per week

Shaftesbury Road, N19, 2 bed flat at £2,000 per week

Quernmore Road, 2 bed flat at £1,795 per week

Quite something of an Olympics bonanza!

Has anyone else been down this route?

Tags for Forum Posts: 2012, olympics

Views: 1021

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

I was told by someone that in order to let your own flat/premises you had to register as a landlord and therefore comply with a set of standards. More info anyone?

There is (sadly) no register of landlords. If your property qualified as a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO - defined by certain size standards) then it would need to be registered as an HMO to be legally let out (even for two weeks)

But there are legal requirements for all landlords to follow.

Issues would include things like gas safety certificates for the boiler, electrical safety certificates for any appliances and potentially fire escape access/fire doors depending on the size and type of the property. If you don't and someone was hurt while letting from you, then you could be fined and/or go to prison.

You would also likely need to inform your mortgage provider and buildings/contents insurer.

Probably the council won't bother even looking at whether all these Olympic lets have any of these things though. 

I've been wondering how I can avoid all the sport and rammed public transport, so it sounds like a great idea.

Not just the bankers who have their snouts in the trough then ?

That's a little harsh, John.

I take offence to this comment

Are you a banker or landlord?

Really ? Are you a banker, or someone who is hoping to rent out your house for a week at a sum that is nearly double my annual pension ?

John, are you suggesting it's wrong for someone who may (or may not) need the income to capitalise on a asset in a legal fashion that will do no harm?

For my part if someone wants to rent out their home and make a little money, I'm not against it. Why are you? What's the harm?

Thank you Hugh. You have more or less said what I wanted to say. I was trying to find a mature and non-aggressive way to communicate to John D and you have done it for me. 

£10 000 a week is not a little money. I'm surprised Hugh, I never took you for a Thatcherite :)

What the bankers did / are doing is also legal and capitalising on their assets so where's the difference ?

I was thinking more of the £1,500 a week, but I suppose the principle applies also to the £10,000 (Though at that level, you do begin to blanche).

Making money on an asset shouldn't be the issue. The way we as a society seek to redistribute our wealth would be my focus.

And, noo I'm not a Thatcherite and don't think my stance on this is either.

Want to really make your blood boil? Did you see the most expensive properties? The first page of the site I linked to has properties ranging from £20,000 to £100,000 per week!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service