Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A friend asked me about Middle East history and the current crisis. I'm all too aware of my scant knowledge.

This morning I spotted an article in the New York Review which seems not only informed and helpful, but deeply empathetic. It's by Loubna El Amine. She is currently teaching in Kings College London. While also afraid for own family members in Lebanon.

Like me, others will also share concern and fears about friends and relatives in war zones.

At times like this we must recall that London is a World City and events across the globe also impact on the UK. Many Haringey residents remember an aphorism by a leading black thinker in London:  A. Sivanandan:-"We are here because you were there". 
Said "to capture the relationship between migrants now in Britain and the British empire."

Tags for Forum Posts: "k, king's college london university, lebanon, loubna el amine

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As of today 27/9/24 this link works, taking you to Loubna El Amine's article in the New York Review.
https://www.nybooks.com/online/2024/09/23/lebanon-memories-of-war/

If like me you follow BBC news you are probably relying on Irish journalist Orla Guerin and her team of colleagues who are reporting this tragedy sometimes village by village and family by family.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service