Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Back in the day Harringay Arena was THE venue for Roller Derby & Speedway.

Now a new group in Bermondsey, London Roller Girls, is reviving the Roller Derby.

According to their website, "Roller derby is a full-contact women’s sport played on quad roller skates, by players skating around an elliptical track. The game consists of a series of two-minute countdown jams"

If you fancy trying your hand - and who knows setting up a Harringay team - their website says their looking fro new players.

(Links for
- Harringay Roller Speedway pictures
- Harringay Roller Speedway posts
- Harringay Roller Speedway video)

Tags for Forum Posts: Roller Speedway, roller

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This revival has been going for a while Hugh and there's a few clubs in London sometimes playing in Tottenham
The London Rollergirls, The London Brawlsaints, London Brawling and the Sufra Jets.

I was talking to a referee of this sport in Manchester a few months ago, it seems to have taken on a more alternative/punky theme. The stars of this sport have gained mino cult status and hang out in all the alternative joints in Camden, you can see by the flyers they produce:

:
A more local one in Tottenham too - great, Thanks, Birdy.
I went the other day after my house-mates (who are Australian, it's big over there) bought me tickets. They had it in Tottenham Green leisure centre and it was a hoot, I'd recommend it to anyone - watching that is; I think you'd have to be pretty good at skating and not mind being bruised as it was pretty rough!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service