Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello there,

I am looking for great knitters to help me on a regular basis with a knitting project. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Views: 2551

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Carmen,

What sort of projects do you need help with and what rates are you offering? I used to organise a knitting group and teach knitting and have some contacts. I also know a local knitting shop who might put an advert up for you.

Lovely items! Although I'm interested how you meet your margins at the sale prices, even if you only pay minimum wage to your knitters there can't be much left to make it sustainable!

Interesting article here...

http://www.fourth-edition.co.uk/?p=5132

Understand about the paid per item thing, but given that you are advertising for "paid work" in the title you do understand that paying less than the minimum wage per hour is breaking the law, don't you?

Besides this point are you aware of the appropriate rate to pay a skilled crafts person? I would suggest it should be in the region of what you would pay a photographer or carpenter, perhaps even your hairdresser. I do understand that some people will work for less, and depending on your business ethics you will need to decide how low you are willing to go on this, but even if you are only paying the legal minimum wage, that would cost you more than you are selling them for, as they each take several hours to make. So with your mark-up, I really don't understand how you can be charging what you do, unless you are running your business at a very significant loss.

Also, ask yourself this... Would you expect to employ a carpenter to make you a piece of furniture for a few pence per hour? Even a basic ladies haircut these days costs the equivalent of around £25/hour! With respect (speaking as a knitter/crafts person) I don't think you can even begin to call your business sustainable.

For those who do enjoy knitting for others in their spare time check out the Knit For Peace website for charities that need knitted items. Far more rewarding I think!

Hi 

just seen your ad and wondered if you still need knitters 

i can knit and crochet i dont mind what i do

i live in lichfield stafforshire and have been knitting and crocheting for 40+ years

pat

Attachments:

Hi Carmen, probably much too late but are you still looking for knitters for your business? I'm local (in the Harringay ladder) and would be interested in being involved…I'm a home knitter and confident following a pattern. Please do message me if you are, your clothing looks lovely! Best, Nicola

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service