Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Federation of Small Businesses have just publicised the launch of their UK wide Keep Trade Local photography tour as part of their Keep Trade Local Campaign.

The whole tour is being sponsored by the Arts Council England. An array of photographs, illustrating independent retailers from across the country, will be hung in disused shops and town centre market days to echo how the spaces could be better utilised but for small businesses being driven out of our high streets.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to see the schedule anywhere.

Tags for Forum Posts: shop local

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This looks like a pretty good campaign. The Federation of Small Businesses are a pretty good lobbying group, and provide a nice counter balance to the 'big business' interests of the CBI.

There are so many things that a local authority could do to deal with empty and derelict shop fronts on high streets. I'm definitely signing up to this petition.
I have had this discussion with a few people now arguing why we do most of our shopping at the indies down Green Lanes.

A lot of the fruit and veg is not local (or national) and transported in from other countries, usually by road freight. The very reason we don't buy all our fruit and veg from farmers markets are because of the price premium and I would prefer to support our community's independent shops and traders rather than paying four or five times the price to support farmers who live in massive properties in the countryside cashing in on the ethically aware / vunerable.

In a perfect world it would be great to have local shops that provided local fare aside form the obvious products that aren't grown in this country, some do like a lot of the Bakeries, but as it stands my priority stands with the local community not with farmers in the Shires.
This echoes a debate that was going on around my office a few weeks ago. We're in central London, just off the Strand so no shortage of Starbucks, Nero's, Leon (best bacon sandwiches ever) etc. But there are also quite a few small independent coffee shops, and one is particularly near.

So the debate is - do we frequent the little local shop but they have foam cups, and their coffee isn't necessarily fair trade - or do we go to one of the chains that can afford to buy in the swanky recycled / degradable cups and fairtrade organic.

I recently read the book Enough - by John Naish - which I'd recommend. He talks a lot about developing your 'personal ecology' and to worry less about whether we're being morally consistant all the time.

This is how I feel about shopping at the local grocers on Green Lanes. I'm willing to support the high street because it makes my neighbourhood a vibrant one in which to live.
Yup, I've signed the petition too.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service