Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

46 million results for Je suis Charlie.

(inspired by the memorable scene in the 1960 film Spartacus)

Et je suis Charlie, aussi.

Tags for Forum Posts: I'm Spartacus, Je suis Ahmed, Je suis Charlie

Views: 1360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bread and butter of Charlie Hebdo is satirising French politicians and politics. Religious satire is the stuff that gets the headlines outside of France but is a tiny part of their regular content.

From what I have seen it appears to be more satirising religion more than French Politicians.  Read this, it is an interesting perspective on it.   I guess a key issue is Charlie Hebdo having a lack of respect for what others value, no matter how cranky and mediaeval it is.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2015/jan/16/france-...

Well, when I read it when I'm over there it certainly carries political scandal cover to cover mostly. I have my own view on whether or not it should have printed the images it did, but most press reports seem to suggest all it does is print cartoons to annoy Muslims when it mainly prints stuff to annoy French politicians.

Some Charlie cartoons you may have missed.

They would have a pop at anything, but usually from a left /anarchist position.

Her what's what wrong with a bity of anarchy?  What would the world be like without politicians? Great !!

However much I agree with you on the tories and their yellow poodles. Your assertion is totally off bonk. Why would any french satirical rag want to interest itself in British politics?

I'll say once, and only once. The U.K. and London or even England aren't the centre of the universe. We all get along quite, in fact very well, without you.

Hey, London is the capital of France, isn't it? 

Stephen,  that sounds like a cue for a song.

I'll say once, and only once. The U.K. and London or even England aren't the centre of the universe.

Stephen nobody troubles to say this about the Chatham Islands.

I believe you've expressed similar sentiments several times over the years. Why do I have the feeling that you're trying to convince yourself of this, as much as others?

I'm really not sure why you should have that feeling Clive. 

Watch, the BBC or ITV news output and it's over 80% insular. Compare the German & French equivalents (and I do ) and you'll see a different picture - Main news, broadcasts are far more international.

It is however quite amusing watching Cameron trying hard to be statesman like while pushing his nose up  the US backside once again, instead of giving more time for Europewide co-operation (where the current problems seem to be). Amusing as such, in that both, well certainly Obama's time as president is up and Cameron's chances of remaining Prime Minister are only 50%-50%. After all the huffing and puffing and photocalls, all they did decide is that they are going to sacrifice the freedom of the majority, by snooping even deeper into our private lives.

Rather unsettling in that it came on the 25th anniversary of the storming of the STASI headquarters in Berlin.

Perhaps our news broadcasts are insular because we are an island ? :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service