Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Apparently the council has agreed to allow a ten-day music festival in the park during the Olympics, which will involve closing off the southern part of the park for three weeks during school holidays, and music until 10 p.m every night. Has there been any discussion on HoL - if so, I've missed it.

Tags for Forum Posts: 2012, finsbury park, jamaica village, olympics

Views: 1833

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jessica, 

Make sure that Jerk Chicken isn't Old-Age-Emporium(OAE)'s 'stereotypical Jerk Chicken' (See Page 1)...Otherwise you'll find yourself in a whole heap of 'sweeping generalisation' trouble....

I support the JA village, it's a good thing but you will always get opposition to any type of idea or plan regardless how good it may be. Universal approval of 100% from a large amount of people for an idea or plan is an impossible dream and we just have to live with that eternal fact and some people are always going to complain if there are changes to their daily routine. Having fun and change can be disruptive in one form depending on your view point and as other speakers have said without disruption innovation and change we would not have the air plane and would still be living in huts. The 2012 olympics is a national celebration equal or greater in statue to any national event and it is worthy of celebration regardless if it disruptes the commute to work for 2 weeks out of 52 weeks in a year. It only comes around once in a life time so any disruption is just fleting in the grand scheme. Enjoy, have fun, celebrate!!!

DESPITE reservations about the Olympic games in their current bloated form, I question the recent remarks of the leader of Britain's biggest trade union threatening the smooth running of the games.

Len McCluskey has called for mass disruption of the Olympics, in order to protest against cuts to public sector pensions.

"The attacks that are being launched on public sector workers at the moment are so deep and ideological that the idea the world should arrive in London and have these wonderful Olympic Games as though everything is nice and rosy in the garden is unthinkable."

He told The Guardian: "The unions, and the general community, have got every right to be out protesting. If the Olympics provide us with an opportunity, then that's exactly one that we should be looking at."

He said no decisions had been reached and said "it would be nice if we were able not to disrupt such a prestigious event as the Olympics".

While I might wholly agree with Mr McCluskey about the waste and extravagance of the games, I couldn't agree that the games should be used as a pressure or leverage point, as I think the misguided Mr McCluskey has said.

Is his suggestion wise or responsible?

hmmm. I too have sympathy for Len McC's underlying frustrations re: public sector etc, but not for his recommended course of action. I think now that we've spent the money on the Olympics we should do our best to make it a happy time, enjoy our Jamaica Villages and our Olympic Rings and hope that it brings some of the much-vaunted benefits (talking of which, don't forget these people: http://www.legacytrustuk.org/)

So... yeah... I can think of more appropriate or understandable places for a spot of civil disobedience.

I think Awfully Dave Cameron should think about some of his own party's donors though before bleating too loudly about Labour giving back their donations from Unite.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service