Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Here I am in Jam in a Jar Green Lanes after a 9 month absence... it'll never be the same without Quto (the previous lovely owner) we've all said. 

No it's not the same, but I actually think it's become comfortable and attractive again plenty of couches and armchairs and soft padded chairs at the plain wooden tables.  Actually I like it again...pleasant back tape music, comfy chairs and GREAT coffee at reasonable prices. 

But it's EMPTY! Come back Green Lanes and The Ladder and HARRINGAY. I like the atmosphere again...

Views: 966

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went a couple of times after the transition but the staff were so unwelcoming (despite it being empty) and the music was awful. 

It's also interesting that whilst the real Jam In The Jar struggled to make ends meet when they were often packed to the rafters , the new owners tick along quite comfortably with hardly any trade.

To quote Darth Vader, I felt something I haven’t felt in a long time… but no desire to go back. There was a cool barista in Gazelle’s… and I thought maybe the creative spirit might return. There were some nights run by a Jam musician that were great, but I know if they payed him, so that past by. I think the rest of Green Lanes from the retailers seem to suggest something is not 100% there. 

Hmmm… there was a very weird vibe when I went in last week - a few unshaven men in those ridiculous shiny jackets, with massively expensive cars parked outside. The business doesn’t seem to be there to make money, so better spend my cash in one of the many excellent places nearby.

• While I agree with those comments from before, I must say, I had a very big welcome from landlord and staff and there were no intimidating bunches of swarthy men in sight .. Good space for bringing my laptop and working, plus nice background music, mixed soft pop...
  • All I'm saying is maybe things are improving there. Seating is plain, comfortable and well spaced. Give it a try!

I feel like this thread could be so useful to the owners. And interesting that it's had over 600 views.

For me, what happened to Jam in a Jar shows the overriding importance and impact of good interior design, and understanding who you're trying to attract.

The place used to be more colorful, a bit alternative and approachable with a great atmosphere. It was visited be people like me who want somewhere to go that is brunchy, lunchy and also has a bar and music/ things going on. The Salisbury and Brouhaha aren't open in the day so there's a captive audience. Essentially it had character and a soul and a good vibe by how it looked and felt which made it a local destination.

But now I find it to appear souless, sparce, and a little intimidating. It lost customers because it completely changed what it looked like and felt like to the people who used to go. I feel terrible for the owners because it's kind of like they ruined the place...Having read this post I might consider walking by and taking another look but it's just not somewhere I feel I relate to. I have also seen a few random people there - because no one knows what it's about and who the target demographic is.

It would be great if they did a launch or an event to show what is it all about now, and invited the locals. Maybe they have. Would be great if they hosted some open mic nights, spoken word, book launches, creative workshop space, a halloween party - things that are fun and communicate what, if anything, it's about.

It's lovely to have a post candidly asking people to go back. I hope others share their views and we can feed back what could change to make it more appealing again.

Update -

I went in today to see what's what and to try the coffee. It was one of those coffees that comes way too hot to drink. I realise now that the chairs and furniture are the same as next door so maybe they bought it. They're dirty pink velvet chairs. The whole place is going for something completely different which is their perogative. Not for me.

I ab-so-lu-te-ly loved Jam In A Jar. I had been a regular for many years and met so many amazing people there. As I'm a DJ and a live music promoter, I approached the current owners earlier this year about putting on gigs but they subtly told me to do one. They simply don't get what made Jam In A Jar such a special place. They can make it as comfortable and as attractive as they want. With that kind of attitude however, they will never be able to replicate the spirit, warmth and hospitality of the 'old' Jam In A Jar. If anyone is interested, I'm currently booking bands that performed at Jam In A Jar directly across the road at The Langham Club. John Motors (a vocal-led funk quartet) will be performing there on Friday 29 November. Entry will be free and you'll be surprised how cheap the pints are at The Langham Club.

Whatever people think of new Jam in a Jar, there is no reason to bring people's skin colour into this conversation. I'm a man with brown skin and a beard, and it's very disappointing to come on here and find that people are frightened and intimidated by people who look like me. I hope that this online community will remember that Harringay and HoL are for everyone, regardless of ethnicity and appearance.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service