Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This picture was tweeted to Haringey Council by @RichGittens this morning. Well done Rich, let's hope the Council get on to it fast.

Remember, Finsbury Park is part of the Borough of Haringey. More than that it's in Harringay Ward, the same ward as the Ladder. This really is in the neighbourhood.

On the positive side, I've spoken with Haringey Council and so far this has been the first Islamaphobia incident since Walthamstow of which they're aware.  

Rumours suggest that there have been some recent incidents around Finsbury Park Mosque. Islington Council are unable to confirm this and I am waiting confirmation or otherwise from Islington Police (now received - see comment added below).  

Tags for Forum Posts: islamaphobia

Views: 1573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Following leads, Haringey police are processing suspected individuals with a spray can handwriting test.

Doesnt it say 'death to plum'?

You mean it's a kinda Cluedo gig? Wow, guess I overreacted, eh!

Good work Hugh.

While people think, that your being a little bit over the top........

"Muswell Hill: Counter-terror cops probe fire at London mosque where letters 'EDL' were daubed on building"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/muswell-hill-counter-terror-co...

I think poor old Hugh is getting one hell of a lot flack here for no reason,  Don't shoot the messenger and all that....  I would say that:

a) We should know about this stuff in order to clamp down on it fast

b) We shouldn't report only good news (where would that end?)

c) Hugh invests such a huge commitment of his time in posting interesting and informative stuff on this website, that it is wrong to make such harsh judgements on what he includes on the site.

That's my two penneth anyway.

Well said that man!  Turning a blind eye is wrong...

I don't believe anyone suggested either covering up these incidents or "turning a blind eye". This is to misrepresent comments above.

Eddie queried the headline "Islamaphobia in the Hood". As he said, does one-idiot-with-a-spray-can merit that headline? By all means record the incident, but that tabloid-type headline was little short of hysterical and the accompanying image was possibly the biggest ever posted on HoL.

Let's not blow it out of proportion.

I hate to contradict a fellow Carter, but the term "Islamaphobia" has a clear definition.  It is defined as prejudice against, hatred towards, or irrational fear of Muslims. The statement sprayed on the ground "Death to Islam" falls within that definition and IS Islamaphobic.  So what is it about the headline that you find so "hysterical".  It is a statement of fact.

what is it about the headline that you find so "hysterical".

Antoinette, if you read carefully, I did not say the headline was hysterical. I said that it was little short of hysterical. And tabloid in style.

Again, no one denied that Islamphobia exists and has a definition. But as Eddie said, the headline referred to one idiot with a spray can. Maybe 10 seconds worth of 'work'?

Does such an incident, involving probably one person, suggest that Islamophobia might be widespread, prevalent or even rife in the neighbourhood? And merit such a shouting headline? This is a sensitive issue and more than other such incidents, I think that it needs to be kept in proportion rather than to do anything that is capable of being interpreted to fan flames of hatred. Let's keep it in the right proportion.

Why does the headline suggest the problem is widespread?  It is a documented single instance of Islamophobia.  I think it you that is over-emphasising a headline as being "shouting"...it is merely a statement of fact.

Why does the headline suggest the problem is widespread?

Because " 'hood" is a fashionable abbreviation for neighbourhood (originally, American, ghetto). Also, in the circumstances, a hip, flip, rendition was perhaps inappropriate. IMO, such subject matter needs to be handled entirely seriously, as well as sensitively.

Fashionable ten years ago, Clive; distinctly less current these days, I'd have thought.

I delight in the seriousness you've brought to this discussion.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service