Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I'm looking at various premises in Harringay with a view to setting up an art gallery.

I'm considering having a small cafe operation alongside the gallery, as well as renting out part of the premises as studio or office space.

I would be very happy to talk to anyone who might be interested in helping out or getting involved.

I think there are a lot of people in the area who would love to have a gallery on their doorstep, as well as a more trendy cafe to go to! I have a track record in running a successful gallery in east London, as well as providing studios, but I've never run a catering operation or bar.

Look forward to hearing from you - ideas and observations also welcome!

Views: 1383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great idea! I'm definitely interested. Contact me on here and we can meet and have a chat about it. 

J.

Great news! I hope you're able to make this happen. You have my full support.

If you could include some good arty prints and cards, that would also be a plus as we have to go to Stoke Newington/Crouch End for these at the moment.

I would be interested in the concept.

I always thought the building opposite the Salisbury (which is still empty) would make a great arts centre for Harringay, but it may not be big enough.

You mean the Coliseum building? At £80k a year, without funding, its just too expensive.

Yes, the Coliseum building would be fab. It could work as gallery plus rented studio space if it was big enough, but I still couldn't risk that much money!

Thanks for the feedback, will get back later on about a possible meeting with interested parties. It would make such a change from the betting shops etc!

Monica, I think this is a terrific idea with lots of potential.  I remember having a discussion with a friend a few years ago about something very similar but of course never managed to get the idea any further than just being an idea!  Unfortunately I don't have any formal catering experience but am passionate about art so I am not sure what I could offer but if there is anything I can do to help you on the way to making this a reality please let me know.

The Coliseum is so ideal, I think it's really worth following through with i.e. putting the idea forward to funding organisations. With enough support, this may not be so unrealistic. As a practising artist, having gravitated from the east, I'd be happy to put in some time to help something like this happen... whatever the premises. 

p.s. I'm currently living above the Salisbury, using the flat as a live/work space, so this would literally be on my doorstep!

Hi Tim, thanks for the message, will get back to you, but re The Coliseum, one would need about 40 artists renting studio space there to even cover the rent, let alone all the other expenses. It could work, definitely, but it would need the council, or one of the non-profit studio providers to get involved, as the initial outlay and the risk would be so great. In my experience, the average artists struggles to pay much more than £200 per month for a studio, and would need at least 150-200 sq ft. But I agree it would be a brilliant project and would bring a different energy to the immediate area.

It might be an idea to try and get some support from the Mayor's Fund for Tottenham?  The Coliseum site falls within the Tottenham constituency, so might be eligible?  It would chime in with trying to improve the area.   

Following on from that, it might be a good idea to contact David Lammy.   He is generally very approachable and supportive.

Thanks, Louis

Many thanks, Karen, have sent you a message.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service