Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Running in Harringay's Warehouse District from 9th-13th April, the inHOUSE Film Festival aims to celebrate the creativity and diversity of Haringey with five days of Film, Music, Fashion and Art.

The organisers say their mission is to "boost the profile of Haringey, through collaboration with the permanent residents, the influx of young professionals of the last decade and using our connections to encourage interaction with the wider arts and media world. Looking at urban and social transformation we showcase some of the best and most innovative short films, music and fashion videos."

With a nod to some of the tensions that surfaced on HOL recently, they go on to say that the festival will "explore a new vision of co-existing between the thriving local artistic community and the long term residents".

Learn more at the festival website and Facebook page.

Views: 1636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So you're all registered electors where you live? That's interesting...

Buy around there John, much more interesting.

We fully intend to capitalise on the fact John ;)

How about where you live John?

From earlier posts and the recent council report I understand that these units have been illegally converted into over 700 unauthorised bedrooms and are rented as HMOs.

I obviously can't comment on every warehouse, but the units I checked in Arena and Omega Works are all listed as having residential planning permission (C3 and C4) on http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/

Hi

We are most definitely not living in illegally converted spaces. The issue isn't that we are living illegally, it lies around government targets for building new houses on brownfield sites.

The thing is, its not brownfield if the site has residential status, which ours do by and large. Parts of it are commercial, others residential, and the density of living is no more nor less than if they replaced us with yuppie flats.

The warehouse community may not have interacted with the other Haringey residents enough, but we're trying to change that. One of the things I'm doing is running a film festival which I hope will be attended by local residents. We will be offering free tickets to anyone from the surrounding streets that gets in touch. Its an attempt to boost the profile of Haringey, to bridge the divide between different communities and a chance to see some of the work of the talented artistic types who live round here (NB I'm not one of them, my skills lie in event management, so I'm looking forward to seeing their work too!)

Please do get in touch if you represent the residents groups, or you just want to come along to some events.

Have a nice evening.

Alay (inHOUSE Film Festival)

Dear John, I am very sorry that you think the people that live in the warehouses are squatters. We are not, we pay the rent, energy bills and council tax. My warehouse has been converted more than 15years ago. Please come and participate to the film festival, still open for submissions from any filmmaker
www.inhousefilmfestival.com

I was asking, not stating. Thank you very much for the invite.

I just wish that the artist community was a bit more inclusive, how cool would it be to get some of the young people on the estate involved with this project?

Sharon, as I understand it, there's an open invitation. 

Of course, understand that Hugh. Im concerned though, as ive hinted before on these threads that certain parts of our community cant be reached on websites such as this.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service