Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

If you have not read or had a chance to comment on Haringey's latest budget proposals, today is your last chance to have a say.

Closure of day-care centres for the elderly , moving Muswell Hill library, cuts cuts cuts - let them know what you think.

One point of interest - if they chose to raise the council tax by the permitted 2% it would raise £1.6 million, but would mean losing £1million in government funding.

No mention of cutting, trimming or otherwise lowering the cost of Haringey People - and this consultation has also been printed up in glossy thick brochures for distribution to libraries etc. although interestingly, not to individual residences.

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recognize several of the points you make Patrick. Haringey has for some time had one of London's highest Council taxes. Some would have it increased, but many of the less well-paid struggle to meet it already. 

During the years of near-highest Council tax, fat built up in the system. The Council's preferred option appears to be cutting services to the public, rather than cutting back more on some of their own internal (administrative) wasteful practices. The Council might have you believe these don't exist.

To cite a small example, too much paper is used and printed. Native PDFs are great, but the Council persists in produced exceptionally inefficient PDFs by scanning in printed paper (!?). Before becoming a Cllr, I raised this with the Council Leader and the Chief Executive. Little appears to have been done. Why hasn't the Council moved towards Open Source software, that is likely to save money in the long run?

(meanwhile, the expensive Communications Department tells us how wonderful everything is. I could go on, but Hugh's server might crash under the load).

There appears to be little will to make those desperately needed savings. To be seen to do so might invite the charge that the waste could (and should) have been addressed years ago.

Clive Carter
Haringey Councillor

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service