Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

If don't want to be a Microsoft Guinea Pig stay away from a new Windows 8 operating system

Hello Everybody

Don't you have a strange impression that we are all to Microsoft like laboratory Guinea Pigs or Mice which will be tested by the latest Windows 8 release this coming Friday. And the results of this big experiment will be used in close future to release next operating system called Windows 9.

Microsoft has a serious problem as three years ago they released a very successful Windows 7 and now as they try to expand to tablet's market with something new and revolutionary. Because Windows 7 evolves very well and there is no serious complaints from users there is a question - Do we really need a new OS from Microsoft even if they are offering this for a very small fee or for free. What is the real reason behind the latest release?

Microsoft needs a new tablet system and it will be very difficult for them to repeat a success of Windows 7 for laptop and desktop users. They are going to promote their new baby as much and hard as they can so let us just observe this process away from struggling and complaints.

After at least one year we are going to know better and this will be decision time.

A new tablet users for Windows 8 feel free...

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe I think you make my point well: you're a knowledgeable user and understand the variants. But the average PC user will still be aware of the variants and may not understand.

Marek's original question above, "Do we really need a new OS from Microsoft [?]" is still relevant.

I agree its not change for the sake of it, but "naysayers" apart from me suspect it looks like a risky gamble for the company to stay relevant. MS missed the boat on tablets and missed the boat on smart phones. Broadly, they missed mobility due to their weddedness to shrink-wrapped software on PCs. And MS's recent scramble to get into smartphones currently looks like bringing down their new "partner" Nokia.

The unified platform is the latest incarnation of the old "Windows Everywhere" policy. Trouble is, if you try to be all things to everyone, you risk pleasing no one. The concern that MS shareholders appear to have, is that the company may be squirting another brown Zune. Only time will tell.

(Incidentally, I've not felt a need to run any version of Windows on a Mac, although this capability has been around for a long time).

Clive,

I have to say, I disagree about areas for confusion. Most users won't know there are different architectures, and they won't care. This is not an argument, it's a fact!

End users will see the same interface on a multitude of devices. Do people like the same interface on differing devices? I would have to conclude that many do - see iphone / ipad, android phone / android tab etc..

Yes MS are late to the game here, but it's time they caught up and they are doing a great job of it. Having actually used the OS, I am actually able to say that it works very well. I have used your OS too (long ago), and I happen to prefer Windows 8 as I can run more up-to-date applications on more powerful hardware, with greater mobility, and indeed I still have hardware warranty on my devices so they can be fixed, if they happen to break. Sadly, you do not have this as a safe-guard and one day, your PowerPC will very likely bite the dust!

With regard to your statement that Microsoft might bring Nokia down; this is a complete fallacy as Nokia were in very big trouble with their Symbian phones (even though they too were deemed great by a dwindling minority), and dwindling non-smart phone sales. They leapt at the chance to partner with Microsoft. Personally, I think that so far, the results of their partnership have been very promising - I love my Lumia 800, and it's far better as a business tool than an iPhone or Android smartphone in my opinion! That's why I have an iPhone for my personal phone and a Lumia for my business phone :)

That said, it might have been prudent for Noikia to look at diversifying by running with Android too, but that's the deal they decided upon. They certainly weren't going to be able to look at running iOS were they!?

Joe, is it really not the case that Microsoft has lacked credibility in mobile for many years?

Microsoft might bring Nokia down; this is a complete fallacy

Have you seen Nokia's share price since the "partnership"? The rate of cash burn?

They leapt at the chance to partner with Microsoft.

"They" of course is the new Nokia CEO Stephen "burning platforms" Elop - who happens to be a recent, ex-Microsoft manager. Some say he is a Trojan horse. The news of the so-called partnership was greeted with wide consternation within Nokia.

Sales of Nokia-branded Microsoft phones have been so poor that there's recently been a suggestion that MS is readying their own one, just in case. The partnership has been characterised as two drunks leaning against each other to stand upright!

Clive,

I've not suggested that MS haven't been on the back foot with mobile; Windows Mobiles were OK, but not great. Windows Phones however are a different story, and Windows Phone 8 is more than likely to be better still.

You're quoting me a little out of context I feel. My point about Nokia was that they were well on the road to failure having lagged behind with their Symbian OS for a few years. They then partnered with Microsoft to deliver Windows Phones (which are also available from other hardware vendors too) - you take it to be a good thing or not. I do however feel that we're straying a little off-topic here so I would ask that you either start another thread to discuss the Microsoft / Nokia relationship, or draw a line under it and return to the original point of the thread.

Getting back on topic, I still firmly stand by my points that Windows 8 is not a test platform, that users will not be in any way guinea pigs, and that it is a fine operating system ready for public consumption. People need not shy away from it, and there seem to have been no reasons given by either yourself or Marek, based upon any real life experience or actual use of the OS.

Why knock something you've not actually experienced? Give it a go, rather than being closed minded about it.

Joe, why would MS chose to partner with a firm well on the road to failure, if not out of a sense of desperation? But yes, we're straying a little.

I think what makes MS's latest OS dramatically different from previous PC versions, is that Windows 8 is also tied to portable device/s and that MS has entered hardware manufacturing in a significant way under its own name.

That's why I mentioned the Zune player and the KIN phone, both recent attempts by MS at hardware in the field of portable devices.

Clive,

Unable to reply directly as we've hit the limit of 8, however...

"why would MS chose to partner with a firm well on the road to failure, if not out of a sense of desperation?"

Far from a sense of desperation, partnering with Nokia is a good fit. Nokia's Symbian OS was dragging them back, but their hardware is great. What a potentially great mix - a fine new smartphone OS (Windows Phone 7, 7.5 and soon to come 8), with world-class hardware! Seems perfectly sensible to me... You don't seem to like it, but you don't seem to like anything Microsoft, so that's not a surprise!

Kin didn't get very far, and Zune didn't either, but the best bits of these have lived on in Windows Phone, so they weren't total losses for Microsoft either. Nice that they tried to innovate, and nicer still that they retained the key winning features and continue to push forward :)

we've hit the limit of 8

Joe, I agree. We've come up against a barrier and for some reason – that I can't quite put my finger on – we've lost the window of opportunity to go beyond the number eight.

;-)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service