Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi everyone.

I am new here.  I wondered if anyone could help me.

I am fed up with houses illegally converted into bedsits without planning permission.

• Me

Haringey Council doing nothing about it!  Instead pay for the rent of the tenants and r grant certificate of lawfulness and grant planning permission for more bedsits to be built.

• One of the bedsits is also a brothel.  My neighbours have had death threats because of reporting anti social behaviour to the police. 
  • The bedsits are disgusting and dirty.  Mice and cockcroaches everywhere.
  • Rubbish everywhere.
  • I live in a semi and now garages attached to the house next door has been granted planning permission to build a 1 bed flat, 2 storey extension.  This property is called an extension, but is a separate dwelling and separate entrance.  Can this be called an extension?
  • Can anyone help me???  I need help quick.  I have 1 week left to take this to Court

Jamie

Views: 2911

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you West Green. I would like other people in similar situations pm me so we can get together to inform the council and combat this.

Senior Council officers are well aware of all these issues,  Jamie.

And frankly I can't believe there are any councillors who don't know about it. Unless they've been snoring gently in a warm corner for the past few years.  Of your three (West Green?) ward councillors I'd suggest contacting Toni Mallet. Rahman Khan is not standing again in May. Toni is honest and trustworthy. She won't play silly games designed to get your vote.

What's happening to you is happening in hundreds of houses where I live (near Bruce Grove Station) and in the wards nearby. Councillors have been learning about the problems; the constraints of planning legislation; and possible solutions.

Can I mention that not everything about house conversions and bedsits is automatically bad. Wouldn't you agree that at different times in their lives, people do need to rent a small flat, or a bedsit; or to share a house?  I did when I first left home and for many years afterwards. Though living in a bedsit or flat-sharing didn't mean I dumped rubbish on the street, encouraged mice, or drove the neighbours crazy.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

This this mean it is right that people convert houses into bedsits without planning permission not for the good of people, but purely for their own financial gain?

I totally agree with your point on: Though living in a bedsit or flat-sharing didn't mean I dumped rubbish on the street, encouraged mice, or drove the neighbours crazy.

Together with used syringes in the street, urinating in bottles and throwing them in the street. Playing music or revving engines to the early hours so that the people in the neighbourhood are unable to sleep.  This is just a few things to add.  Many more.

Hi TBD

Yes I have tried calling him, but no answer so maybe he is out.  I will try again later. Thanks for your support.  I need others with the same situation to come out and let us all bring this out to the council.  I am sure Haringey are fully aware, but more the merrier.  United we stand, divided we fall.

Can anyone remember the days when we could leave our doors own for hours?  Now days, you cannot shut your doors or windows quick enough in case unwanted visitors (mice, etc) sneak in and refuse to leave.

Jamie, you and I may not think it's right for people to convert homes and other buildings purely for their own financial gain. But the key question is whether or not it is lawful .  That question also depends on exactly what they've done in the conversion and how long ago they did it. 

Can I assume from what you've written that you and your neighbours have sought and been given advice on this? And that you've been told about "permitted development" and certificates of lawfulness? 

If you're not happy about the law which applies, because of the impact on your own homes,  then I would probably agree with you. But current legislation is as it is. Councils don't have the right to change it. The Government has extended permitted development rights - as one response to the Housing crisis. At the same time, it has reduced funding to local councils - which really does mean fewer staff with fewer resources for enforcement. 

Although councils can make things a bit harder or even a little easier for house owners with their planning policies. (Haringey Council has done the latter in South Tottenham though as far as I know, not in your area.)

The other aspects you describe - noise, behaviour in the street - are things the Council does have some powers to tackle - working with the Police and possibly other agencies. Though again with fewer staff. As I've no idea what's been tried in your street and neighbourhood, I can't make specific practical suggestions. 

But again, I'd suggest you contact Cllr Toni Mallett one of the councillors I can recommend.  Her contact details are on the Council's website here.  Phone and have a chat with Toni before you go to see her.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Alan

Converting homes and buildings without planning permission is not lawful.  To have one door way and one gas meter concealing the fact that the property has been converted is not lawful. What do you expect everyone to do?  Run around knocking on each property in the area and ask to see if the property has been converted?  

I have tried calling a number of councillors all last week and no joy.  I received an email from Toni Mallet and tried calling her, but no joy.  She should know me quite well as she was one of my teachers and The Langham School when I studied there many years ago.

I have even tried calling your number: 020 8376 4223 and this also seems to be going through to voicemail.

Developers pull these sorts of tricks, Jamie. They know the rules and play the system.  If they get away with it for a number of years without detection the law rewards them. I'd want the law changed. But I'm not the Government.

Sounds like you misdialled, as I don't have voicemail. But I'm sorry I was out when you called. Though in any case I'd have referred you to Toni as one of your ward councillors.

I spoke to her this afternoon about your posts on HoL,  Toni was on a bus but we got to chat briefly. She was hoping to hear from you in response to her email. Please give her another try.

Thanks Alan.  I have called so many numbers today, I have lost track

My neighbour called me about 6pm because the tenant in the house next door to her has just threatened to burn down her house.  I went around immediately.  The tenant then started threatening me, telling me that she will burn me in my house with me in it.  She said she was 19 and not alone and she had other people to do this for her.  The police was called, but we were told that they will be around which could take up to 60mins.  Not good.  Is this how we must live?

The evicted tenant is back and the police are doing nothing.  I have called the police on 101 and I am made to feel that I am bothering them.  All I asked them was what we should do.  Disgusting.  What should we do?  The evicted tenant is having a party.  I think the police said tenant was not allowed back so I called them to reconfirm.

I have not heard back what Haringey propose to do with regards to the issues listed below.  Some of the anti-social behaviour issues has been addressed, but the planning issues still are outstanding. 

An email I sent to all Haringey Councillors today.

I can only assume we are not a priority as an election is more important.  How do you expect us (residents of Haringey) to vote for you when we have not had the same support?  I am disgusted by the lack of response.

Jamie To

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service