Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hornsey & Wood Green election candidate to issue retraction letter after publishing … a lie

A Hornsey & Wood Green election candidate is expected to issue a retraction letter after publishing untruth.

This, in one of the country's most marginal electorates. The consequences of breaching Section 106 of the Representation of the People Act (1983) can be severe:

Guardian story.

If a retraction letter is not sent out to those residents whom her Party sought to mislead, there's likely to be a visit to libel lawyers, tomorrow (Monday).

Clive Carter
Liberal Democrat Councillor

Tags for Forum Posts: Representation of the People Act (1983), dirty tricks, false, information, lie, smear, spin, untruth

Views: 2847

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been digging around Mark. Still can't find that poll showing Lynne Featherstone a point ahead of Catherine West. I did find this blog by YouGov's Anthony Wells  where he says "one should be particularly suspicious of polling produced by political parties" - it an interesting read. But help me out, have you a link you could share where I can see a poll with this one point lead?

Desperation!

The real question is, of course, can you actually trust the LDs? I recall that little story of the tuition fees.

Lynne Featherstone was a minister in the coalition government that sent out the 'Go Home' vans in July 2013. Though she was not in the Home Office which was responsible, I don't recall seeing her statements that this was a shameful and inflammatory campaign by her Tory partners in government, where she separated herself and her Party from this exercise.  As I haven't read every LD press release since July 2013, can you point us to the relevant statement please?

Pam, sophistry can’t vitiate libel. Either something is libellous or it is not. Other material in that election communication was dubious or misleading, but the sentence complained of is probably the most clear-cut case of libel I've seen. I now expect that that was the tenor of advice the Party received today.

So she didn't publish anything about the Go Home vans at the time, then?

I've been through LF's blog posts from July to September 2013. No mention of the Go Home vans.  She was in Africa for half of July so could have missed the story then.

BTW it would help if she added the handy Wordpress widget called Archives into her sidebar, this gives a shortcut to the calendar of blog posts. It's in Customise, under Look+Feel. Just askin'. 

At last I have discovered WHO has erred, but I remain in ignorance of what was said. Could somebody please enlighten me, or is it only for the cognescenti here?

Info is in the LD press release linked in the first line of Clive's post.

Thanks got it!

Philip, as you'll have seen by now the lie is broadly in the field of immigration policy (to put it as neutrally as possible in the circumstances).

However, the perpetrators of the lie have not themselves been silent on this subject.

I invite you to consider this, from just three months ago (widely reported at the time).

This Party's leaflet on immigration policy was questioned by David Lammy MP. I respect him for complaining. I suggest that his Party is a Party of perfidy.

A LABOUR Party press comment is contained in this ITV story.

I note that there is no evidence of the retraction letter and it appears that lawyers have been contacted to take the matter further.

If this matter does eventually come before a Judge, presumably he or she will look at intent and motivation, rather than assume that this was some kind of innocent mistake, that some are straining to suggest.

more question marks about your own integrity than that of the H&WG Labour campaign

Mr Salmond – or whatever your full real name may be – I note that you launch this personal attack (presumably on behalf of the party you support) from the safety of an undisclosed identity.

Election Agents however, are identified and bear heavy responsibility.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service