Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hornsey & Wood Green election candidate to issue retraction letter after publishing … a lie

A Hornsey & Wood Green election candidate is expected to issue a retraction letter after publishing untruth.

This, in one of the country's most marginal electorates. The consequences of breaching Section 106 of the Representation of the People Act (1983) can be severe:

Guardian story.

If a retraction letter is not sent out to those residents whom her Party sought to mislead, there's likely to be a visit to libel lawyers, tomorrow (Monday).

Clive Carter
Liberal Democrat Councillor

Tags for Forum Posts: Representation of the People Act (1983), dirty tricks, false, information, lie, smear, spin, untruth

Views: 2847

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very sneaky but not a peep from Clive about this dodgy leaflet since I posted about it yesterday.

Eugene, thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen this leaflet before, but it makes good points.

I am pleased to see it points out that the wealth gap increased under the last government (perhaps not what one might expect): something that ought to concern politicians of all parties.

Labour have conceded the point about banking regulation, but they're not exactly shouting it from the rooftops. In my opinion, the failure adequately to regulate the banks was the biggest single fault of the New Labour Government and the leaflet raises a legitimate question about trust.

To be sure, the photos aren’t flattering, but don't forget that the antipathy between these two top New Labour leaders was debilitating for the last couple of years of the last government. This does not begin to compare with the bilious, spiteful, and above all, dishonest attack on an individual woman. Who also happens to be an excellent local MP.

The wording that you reproduce (“the imprint”) is of course, a legal requirement. Thanks to your high quality scan, I had no difficulty reading it.

As far as I know, there is only one Party that appears to have broken electoral law in this Constituency.

Glad you're pleased Clive but it's pretty difficult to read on the actual A5 leaflet. Usually Lib Dem election material is plastered with their logos etc. Whatever the truth of the content it's still sneaky passing themselves off as the Greens. IMHO.

Why is it Green Party green Clive? And why is there no Lib Dem logo or even a mentioned of the Lib Dems except for the small print? Would appreciate a response this time.

Hannah, Eugene has claimed that this passes itself off as a message from "the Greens".

However, I hope you'd agree that the theme, from top to bottom, is financial, an area of expertise and competence not immediately associated with the Green Party.

Nowhere does it say it's from the Green Party (the attractive shade of green is probably designed to attract the attention of possible Green voters).

The Green Party has not engaged in printing untruth about an opponent, unlike the Labour Party, whose retraction letter has yet to appear – has anyone seen it?

(BTW, in a spirit of democracy, I told a friend in the Green Party friend I'd been delivered a Green Party leaflet intended for North Islington).

However, just because there is not a single green or environment issues mentioned in the leaflet above, does not mean Lib Dems have no policies in this area.

Far from it:

LibDems on Environment

Five Laws for a greener Britain

BusinessGreen

Independent: General Election 2015: Keep Lib Dems in coalition, say...

Green values are central to the Liberal Democrats, in spite of work...

Come on, Clive! There's a reason why that colour was chosen and no mention of LD party was made anywhere except small print! I just want to know *why* those decisions were made because it looks extremely dodgy to me! Perhaps you could ask whoever sanctioned it what they were playing at because we're clearly not the only people who found it misleading! We've asked Lynne herself but only received a generic response.

Well here's another one I had through the letterbox today Clive, followed by a screenshot from today's Evening Standard which says "Lib-Dem Lynne Featherstone, the Home Office Minister, would appear doomed in Hornsey & Wood Green"

Where's Lynne found a poll with her in a 1% lead?

Eugene - the answer to your question is on the leaflet, where it says "Source:...". Election Forecast is a non-partisan election forecasting website, run by one of the teams of academics that have been forecasting the election. 

Lib Dem member

OK Mark, can you point me to the prediction online?

It's on the Elections Forecast website - I always find it by Googling 'elections forecast' and it usually is the top result. 

As I said, the source of the forecast is given clearly on the leaflet, where it says "Source:' - and the site itself is available online to all and sundry. The answer to your question was there in front of you all along :-)

Things are changing fast. I think that the rather mean Labour tactic of accusing her of throwing stones at poor immigrants when she was merely one of the people standing with the ones who WERE throwing stones at poor immigrants worked. It associated her with the nasty mean stuff the Tories did. Don't forget, they SHOULD have gone into coalition with the Labour government because they campaigned to the left of them.

"The answer to your question was there in front of you all along :-)"

Sorry Mark, I'm a little thick - I can find this- www.electionforecast.co.uk But not the poll shown on Lynne Featherstone's leaflet. Have you a link you could share?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service