Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The previous government introduced new planning legislation which meant that landlords had to submit a planning application to rent their properties to unrelated tenants - known as Houses in Multiple Occupation. Regulations published last month remove this requirement and make it easy for landlords to establish HMOs.

The amendments came into force on 1 October.

Councils have the right to apply for an 'article 4 direction' in some or all of their area which requires landlords to seek planning permission for HMOs. This provision is in place for areas where HMOs have been particularly prevalent. I've been told, though have not verified, that Leeds City Council have applied for a citywide article 4 direction.

I have written to Cllr Nilgun Canver to ask her if there are any plans to apply for such a direction for Harringay.

Thanks to HoL member Helen (you know who you are) for tipping me the wink on this one.

Tags for Forum Posts: HMOs Article 4, hmos, new hmo controls, 2011

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And my thanks, Helen, and to Hugh, for turning the wink into a warning blink.

I'm assuming that, as matter of course, our Planning Service has been actively and effectively exploring this option. After all, we have huge and pressing problems with Homes in Multiple Occupation.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)
Thank you for alerting us to this - HMOs are a particular problem on the Ladder and if any area needs an article 4 direction it is here. I will be following it up with the Planning Department and discussing it with my ward colleagues.
Could you ensure the article 4 direction includes the Harringay Gardens which have a similarly widespread problem, particularly at the Kimberley/Salisbury end? Thanks in advance.
See a further response from Karen last November, here.
Hugh, sorry for the delay. Yes, we are looking into this but it's not as simple as it sounds. When we are clearer about what these changes mean exactly for us you'll hear from me. Having said that, we have other plans for the area. These will be discussed at the HMO meeting on 26 Oct. Dasos has the details. Nilgun
Thanks Nilgun. Look forward to learning more.
I today received the following update from Cllr. Canver:

The issue of HMOs and their appropriate control is being looked at and improved by the Council’s corporate HMO and Conversions Working Party that I chair. The Working Group will be meeting in early December to discuss the impact of the new legislation, and the pros and cons of utilising Article 4 directions to control HMO numbers and quality in Haringey.

We are aware that setting Article 4 directions in general is a resource intensive process, and there may be other controls and processes that may be cheaper to run and more effective, for example; using the discretionary licensing powers that are available to us. This will certainly be applicable to Harringay ward.

As you’re aware we have carried out an intensive evidence gathering audit during the pilot project. It was a stepping stone to enable us to get to phase two where we can use the discretionary powers.

I have today written to Nilgun Canver asking for an update in line with the timescale she gave me previously.

I've still had no reply. I will try again and see if I can get an update for us all.
The Haringey Unitary Development plan, adopted in 2006, identified 9 restricted conversion areas where permission for conversions would not be given because of problems caused by too many HMOs and any street where HMOs already equalled 20% of properties constituted such an area.
Thanks Susan. Unfortunately in spite of this HMO's haven't been controlled, hence this new legislation.
So, any councillor; does anyone have an update for us?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service