Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Holers

For the past few weeks a cute, but quite vocal tabby Tom has rather forlornly staked out our flat.  He has a wide face and big bright green eyes. The photos don't really do him justice.

As the weather got colder, he started sneaking in through our cat flap.  First of all I'd smell the wee (either his calling card or maybe a 'wee off' between him and our own cats - we have two) and then on a couple of occasions we'd see him running out through our cat flap.  Over the last month, he has been more bold and I've come in to the sitting room to find him lounging on the sofa or armchair whilst our two cats look on in denial and defeat.

My husband and I have been too compassionate to shoo him out or hide the cat food when it's been arctic.  Now we have builders around and the weather is less awful he is inside less (for the moment).  But he is very much around and sits with his big moon eyes wailing at us outside the back door.  I have every sympathy for him, but we can't take on the responsibility and expense of another cat and would like Wee Off to stop.

Does anyone know this cat?

Or have any suggestions as what to do now?

He deserves a nice home and maybe being Top Cat.

Many thanks for any advice.

Views: 695

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello!

We are on Pemberton, so not sure it's the same one.  

It sounds a very similar situation though.  Our cats have given up, but they are really, really skittish since their mother died and I think having a catflap just for them might reassure them.   Thank you so much for the offer of your flap - really kind of you - but I have just booked for them to be fitted for microchips and bought a microchip catflap, so by the weekend we should be sorted. Ha!   That's provided we can catch them both first - no easy task.

Re Bertie, as I have named him - I called Animal Aid who put me on the Cats' Protection League.  From them I will hire a trap for him and take him to be neutered (and also checked for a chip).  Then dependent on whether it's decided he is feral or just shy, he will be either released or rehomed.

Really touched by how everyone is so helpful here, thank you!

Hope your little cat is happy now.

Sophie 

I'd rather that than people trying to build pyramids...

nothing wrong with being partial to/worshipping cats in my opinion :)

I saw that cat yesterday in my garden. Quite a big and looks well fed. I live on Mattison road

He is well fed - has been eating Whiskas and Go Cat from our kitchen!  

Well, you doing a good job!

Well done for helping out the cat. You might find it easier to catch him before you change your catflap ie keep him in if he comes inside. It's easier to do that instead of using a cat trap to catch him outside after you have fitted your new catflap.

I hope he's microchipped, but it's unlikely if he hasn't even been neutered. When you neuter him, you'll find his behaviour will be less dominant and he won't spray inside and maybe he could become part of your household...just one little extra mouth to feed. I have 6 rescue cats (no I'm not a mad cat woman, just a soft touch for a cat that needs a home!). Best wishes

Yes, that's very true!

I'm also going to look today on Animal Search UK in case anyone has lost him and posted him there.  I know I put our cat Coco's photo up on lots of sites when she went missing and prayed for a discovery.  Sadly we only found her when she was dead and I'd hate that misery on anyone else.

Hee hee, love the sound of your home - must be fun with six cats.  You've obviously got a bigger heart than me Justine  

Thanks! Sophie

Sorry to hear about Coco, that must have been a shock.

Yes Animal Search is a good idea. You could enter his details as a found pet. Best to attach a photo and list any distinguishing marks as a lot of tabbies look alike.

Well having 6 cats is not a good idea financially that's for sure! My husband is a soft touch as well when it comes to cats!

It's a good idea to get him tested for FIV, altho it's not that common. Out of all the cats I've had tested for FIV over the years, only one was positive, and that doesn't mean the end. I took that cat to Foal Farm and they put him with a female FIV cat from Battersea. They fell in love (in a neutered way!) and were found a lovely new home together.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service