Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hey there am fairly new to Harringey - well I say new we have lived here for almost a year. So far have been really disapointed with our area - we bought a lovely little cottage off the Roundway if I could pick it up and move it about a mile further in it would be our dream house! Having lived in Stokey for a fair while but like everyone outpriced as you can imagine moving here has been a little bit of a culture shock - we can't even find a non scary half decent pub to go!!
I have however been really heartened by a lot of the posts and reccomendations of places to go and things to do locally on here so many thanks for making me feel a lot brighter and being a bit community minded thought I ought to introduce myself and perhaps meet a few more likeminded people locally. So if anyone lives nearby and knows of interesting things going on - My other half is now a serious gardener after enjoying a year in his first garden, I am a bit of a baker - cupcakes - well actually all cakes, it would be great to hear from you
thanks Tx

Views: 257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dermot
Yes it was the portugese place - have to say it looked fantastic
I had no idea there was an independent cinema - so will check that one out. We did look at a property on Belmont Road so I know it a little - but didn't know about the pubs and the restaurant
Wow there is really is loads to do - I think a guide would be a great idea - just after one post I have now found out so much about the area that I doubt I would have ever explored on my own - I think I said originally that I found it a bit of a culture shock moving here from Stokey but actually it looks like there are just as many exciting things happening here - perhaps they need promoting and 'bigging' up a bit more - I know quite a few people that have discounted this part of the borough to buy in as they just thought it was a bit quiet but it sounds like there is a thriving social scene
If you are into baking, then you have to get yourself over to the Tottenham Flower Show next September. It's in Lordship Rec and has lots of things going on, including the usual entries for baking, gardening, floristry and so on, all very jolly.

I feel a bit like you too, wishing I would stumble across something delightful instead of feeling a bit intimidated by certain spots (we live off Philip Lane).
Hi Adele
Flower show sounds great - my over half the master gardener would love it! and it would be great to bake something.
We did look at a few places to buy around Philip Lane - there some lovely streets around there - I know what you mean though we felt a bit intimidated in certain areas, The area that we live in could be really lovely its just a few that really drag it down. If I thought that people would take part I would love to do something locally to encourage residents to take a bit of pride in the street it really wouldn't take a lot of effort and would really help make it feel like a bit of a community.
hi tamara,

whereabouts do you live off the roundway, because i live in tower gardens estate in a cottage too!

i used to live in hackney and then moved out to tottenham two years ago.

i am good friends with vix and we go to the antwerp arms on bruce castle park quite often

http://www.brucecastlenews.com/2008/03/perfect-pub-on-park.html

please contact me as it would be lovely to meet a new neighbour!
yes tower gardens is pretty!

i live in henningham road. if you fancy going to marmalade at the weekend let me know, maybe vix could come too.

we can talk baking!
email me gandolfi.green@gmail.com

x
Hi Tamara,

Welcome to the area. We live on the other side of the TG estate near Lordship Lane. The area is getting better. Some improvements were made on the estate when Dave Morris (of MacLibel fame) was secretary of the the TG residents network, he's now heavily involved with the Lordship Rec regeneration.
You can get the 123 bus to the Ferry boat inn or better still walk down through Northumberland Park (Park LAne way) across Watermead way and then down the river Lee.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service