Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council is asking for residents' views about what should be given priority in next year's budget.

There's an online consultation form and they are also organising a series of workshops, where the issues can be discussed before recommending priorities.

Apparently all views will be written up and reported to cabinet when they look at the budget for 2010-11. I'm not sure what weight they carry.

I've asked for info on the workshops in case anyone wants to attend.

Tags for Forum Posts: consultation

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So far this looks like a typical Haringey half-cocked, second-rate consultation. The link leads to a completely unvalidated set of questions which they say "will help us make sure we have a wide range of views" which obviously it won't, it will merely tell them which part of the borough those of us who have spotted the link come from, and if we are deaf or use a wheelchair.
The consultation charter says "We will communicate clearly about the purpose of the consultation, who is being consulted, the way we are consulting and when decision will be taken on proposals." Even if we treat this as a pre-consultation consultation on who should be consulted, I think there is very little clarity.
Its just too depressing to look at the other points in the charter so I won't.
And if this link contains an accurate assessment http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/councils-control-only-5-of then any consultation on Haringey's budget could not even cover the tip of the iceberg.
And another thing - what do we elect a council for if not to take difficult budget decisions - is this a preparatory step to shifting the blame for forthcoming budget catastrophes away from the Star Chamber inner clique ruling cabal Cabinet on to the public?
We can't have a referendum on the EU constitution but we can set Haringey's budget - I don't thinbk so.
Omotn, you're plainly right that room to manoeuvre within the Council's budget is pretty limited. And shifting priorities would involve hard choices. But not every new idea or suggestion for change is going to cost money. And some will produce savings.

But isn't the key question whether or not the "Cabinet" councillors and senior officers are genuinely willing to engage with residents?

Please take a look at this short video. It's not specifically about Harringay or Haringey. But why participation can succeed when it's open to creative and surprising new ideas.

Perhaps you just don't believe you'll be listened to at the Council's consultation meetings?
Then bring your ideas to a forum where sharing new thinking and creative surprises are always welcome.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service