Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A few weeks ago, at the seed swap event, a few of us were talking about the Open Gardens events which take place during spring and summer. And we got to talking about whether there would be any interest in having an informal version of our own - a day where a small number of us could have a nose around each others' gardens.  

It would be aimed at people who are interested in finding out what can be done with a similar space/soil/aspect, or who are just curious about different gardens and what people have managed to do. The gardens wouldn't be remotely 'perfect' (certainly not mine) but I'd personally be really interested in seeing what other people have managed to do, talking about what does or doesn't work for them, and getting (or even giving) advice.

What do others think? I guess it would work by people expressing interest here and then us agreeing a date some time in June/July. Depending on how many people are up for it we could have specific time slots so that everyone who participates gets the chance to look at other people's gardens ..

What do you think - any takers?! I can offer up my recently unlawned garden to anyone who is interested ...

Tags for Forum Posts: gardens, harringay open gardens

Views: 1196

Replies to This Discussion

Love the idea - sadly no garden, but wanted to voice my support.

I would be up for this.  I have a lovely big garden with interesting plants (as well as weeds), a greenhouse and veg planters and a pond.  But I don't live on the ladder.  I live the other side of the tracks in Stapleton Hall Road opposite St Aidans school.  Perhaps I could be last on the list of visits and you could join me in a glass of wine and sit in the garden?

Stroud Green & Harringay Library | Harringay & Stroud Green Open Gardens?

I don't think you're too far away Kamila - and besides your garden sounds too good to miss. Let me see what sort of interest we get over the next few days or so and I'll start thinking about dates.

It is gorgeous I have to say - there is no lawn so lots of room for plants!  It's untidy in a creative informal way and is a wildlife garden but lots of interest - and there should be more stuff out in June.  And it's amazingly private as it backs onto the Barking-Gospel Oak line.  Looking forward to the day!

I'm building a wildflower garden. It's a friend's small back garden, on the Ferry Lane Estate in Tottenham, N17.  

I've sown a selection of wildflower seeds and they're coming along very nicely now.  In addition to the wildflower area, there's a small herb section and also a small pond, which I've also recently installed. It measures about 4ft x 2ft, with a mixture of surface and marginal plants, including a water lily, mace and, of course, oxygenators.

The garden is entirely organic - not a herbicide/pesticide in sight and no chlorine-rich tap water. Water is left to stand for 48 hours, for the chlorine to evaporate.

Dense ivy is on two sides of the garden, where nesting birds have been seen for at least five consecutive years and, at the back, several varieties of moss have been introduced in the darker corners, along with lichen-laden branches and ferns, to add a woodland feel.  Apart from looking nice, this dead wood is home to many varieties of mini-beasts -- that's great for birds and invertebrates too!

The whole garden is a postage stamp! It's only 15ft x 15ft, and is a prime example of what can be achieved within even the tiniest of spaces. It's been designed solely with wildlife in mind.  The few cultivar plants there are, are slowly being phased out.

Come mid/end of Summer, the wildflower blooms will add yet another dimension, but it is very much a garden in progress.

My friend openly and warmly invites anyone who is interested, to come along and take a look.

Best wishes to all 

Wow - fantastic!

That sounds great Jeanette. A bit off topic... Just in case anyone did not see this post about the underground reservoir in Finsbury Park having to be fenced off because of structural issues.... Have a quick look. http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/fencing-off-of-finsbury...

I suggested we sow the area with as many wild flower seeds as we collectively can.

Interested in this and people are welcome to visit my garden which is in Stanhope Gardens.

Mainly lawn with very narrow borders when i moved in. Now a tiny lawn with perennials, a few shrubs and climbers. Sometimes veg too. bit cottage gardeny.

Jenny

Hello Alison

I would like to join this event. The South Harringay Junior School garden could be part of it!! I would love gardeners to come and have a look at what we do there and offer advice - it is all vegetables and fruit. If not keen on that, then you can all come and laugh (kindly) at my garden.

Hi Alison,

Is this on?  Can we set a date in June soon as my diary is filling up - garden looking great after all that rain - very weedy though.

Yes, absolutely. Will post some date suggestions tonight.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service