Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi everyone,

Sunday 20 July 2014 will be our last Sunday market day at our current venue, South Harringay School on Mattison Road.
This means that we are looking for another suitable venue in Harringay, and we have 7 weeks left to find one.

We have been open for almost two years, and I'd hate to close the market.
Therefore I am asking everyone's help with looking for a new venue for Harringay Market.

I know most of the local politicians frequently come to the market too, and I hope they can also help us with a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica

Views: 5423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had thought (hoped) you were joking when you first mooted this, John, but I'm guessing now that you are more serious.  The play street is only supported/tolerated by the residents on the basis that it is once a month, not weekly (nor fortnightly, or whatever), and the road is closed to through traffic but still open to access for residents and their visitors.  While I support both the market and the play street, they are two very different things - one is a commercial enterprise designed to make a profit, the other is a community event with (virtually) no money involved (at least in comparison with the market).  I would be very concerned about the noise from the market - we can sometimes hear it inside our house even from SHS when there is music on - I don't mind so much as it's not that frequent and not that loud in my house, but having it outside the front door is a different matter.  There's also a concern about parking for the traders (although, having said that, where do they park now?) and, if the road were access only, rather than closed, I don't think there would be enough space to allow cars down the road and stalls on both sides of the road (especially if cars are still parked both sides of the road - are you proposing to make residents park elsewhere?)  And then there's the electricity and water issue - are you proposing that Justin or I open our front door and run a hosepipe and a cable out to the coffee stall?  (Thinking about it, that could be a nice little money spinner...)  Seriously, though, it's a non-starter.

Aw, I was getting the hosepipe ready and everything...

In theory, it would be quite cool, but sadly impractical!

Nimby ;)

Now come on, John, you're definitely not having the market in my back yard!  The pond is a safety hazard and my washing might smell of pizza! 

What about the car park in the Greek Orthodox church on Wightman Road? It would need to be on a Saturday though.

OK, a serious suggestion to try and avoid the weekly farce that would be the market in my back yard: Jewsons is closed on Sundays - would there be any mileage in approaching them about using their yard/car park?

I take it there's no chance of going back to North Harringay Primary School?

Too far away from what exactly? Harringay?

Otherwise known as the Harringay Smokehouse.

Hi Jessica,

One of my friends put me on to this thread. I live and work in the warehouse district and we are putting on a night market on the evening of 12th June, from 5pm to 11pm. There will be stalls, food vendors, live music and a bar, and it's taking place in and around 199 Eade Road. If you or any of your stall holders would be interested in doing something a little bit different, feel free to put your details on this thread or email stalls@eaderoadmarket.co.uk. The stalls are very cheap for this one, and all the money is going to charity (St. Clare Hospice).

Regarding your long-term problem, I've only been able to get permission for a one-off event here at the moment but it would be great to see a permanent market around here. Now I know you're looking, I'll keep an eye out. 

Best,

Ellis

What's the latest, Jessica?

Is moving back to north harringay out too? I used to like it there (obvs liked it at Sth H too).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service