Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I noticed that it cost money to fund the site.
Also there seems to trade people being recommended or advertising themselves ?
Some even ask for a donation ?

Anyway just want to know if this site can be used to generate revenue from local business or not allowed because of nature of the site .

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Glen, yes the site does cost a few hundred each year to run. So far we've managed to cover that cost through donation and advertising. (But, of course the real cost, if we ran it on a business model, would be the time needed to run it).

I'd reframe your question somewhat and suggest that the question to ask is less about generating revenue and more about generating benefit - or to jump on a bandwagon, generating 'shared value' - something for the community (which will sometimes be revenue for the site) and something for the business; anything that can benefit the hood.

So, I'm very happy to use the site to support local businesses but I think it should be done on a quid pro quo basis. If the site's helping the business, then the business should help the site or the community. Here's our page on it.

Sometimes it's hard to draw a line between advertising and news or information. Take the recent opening of Moka. Yes it's a business and you could argue that the coverage I gave it was free advertising, but it offers a real amenity to the area and, as was probably quite clear, there was huge interest. So we have to use our discretion about where the line between promotion and information comes.

From time to time businesses come on to the site and seek to promote themselves without contacting us first or with no intention of generating shared value. When we see those instances, we remove any postings.

Hope that answers your question.

With world markets 'on the brink of collapse' you maybe looking for a safe place to invest for your retirement; Lunar Embassy. (?) :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service