Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey schools to get a substantial increase in funding from 2013/14

The government today announced that Haringey will be treated as an inner London borough for the purposes of mandatory teachers pay, which will bring it in line with neighbours such as Camden, Hackney and Islington. Haringey has been legally required to pay its teachers inner London salaries even though it receives outer London funding. Our schools are now set to benefit from substantial additional funding from 2013/14.  In Hackney, they receive £1500 more per pupil per year, than we do in Haringey.

More on the story from The Journal, here.

Tags for Forum Posts: fair_funding_for_haringey, schools

Views: 1190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Claiming credit for increased funding can only go to the coalition government. Afterall this Labour Council, in power for 40 years courtesy of Harold Wilson's gerrymandered boundaries, got nowhere with any government of whatever hue, ever.

Its a very long standing nonsense which goes back to when there was an ILEA. ( Haringey was not in ILEA of course) I am a governor at an Islington school (Ashmount School) and I cannot imagine how we would have managed with 1500 a pupil less. Mind you the money will be absorbed pretty quickly on things like SEN provision. 

I do wish people wouldn't use obscure TLAs

ILEA is neither a three letter acronym or, if you are old enough, obscure.

With a budget larger than some EU member states governments the Inner London Education Authority was, in its time, a big thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_London_Education_Authority

David, I agree with John D and I was contemplating saying something similar.

While I could guess what ILEA stood for (but could everyone?), "SEN provision" eludes me and possibly others. I'm surprised you didn't realize that John D was referring to SEN, which is a three letter acronym.

While jargon might be acceptable in one's workplace, I think jargon terms are best avoided on a community site like this, unless the main object is to present oneself as having more knowledge than others.

Whether you could guess ILEA or not seems to me to be mainly a function of age. I remember the GLC, and ILEA and when Ken Livingstone was young; and flared trousers and ABBA.

I overlooked my use of SEN for which I apologise, although finding the balance, when one reads rapidly and types quickly between being clear and  being patronising can be difficult. SEN is a very commonly used term in schools, it stands for Special Educational Needs. if you are a parent and do not know what SEN stands for, then that is a good thing...

Here is a useful definition I have lying around

"The term "special educational needs" is used to describe the needs of children who need additional provision in order to make progress. This includes children with moderate or severe learning difficulties and physical, neurological or sensory disabilities (such as hearing, motor and visual disabilities) as well as needs such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, Asperger syndrome and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)"

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation. One of my neighbours is a special needs teacher and what little I know about it comes from her.

John D & Clive:

In fairness to David (who has been extremely patient and informative esp in reply to Clive on the related 'Governors' discussion) ILEA to parents, students, governors, councillors, teachers and dogs in the street a couple of decades ago was as familiar as "UK". SEN (Special Educational Needs) has been part of the primary and secondary school scene and a big part of school costs since at least 1980/81. This TLA occurs regularly in school -related discussions on HOL, as does EAL and quite a few other TLAs.

It was SEN that puzzled me. Not moving in educational circles, I hadn't met it before. I do hope the well-known TLA known as OAE  didn't miss the  at the end of my post.

A glossary of these TLAs is to be found somewhere on the internet; when I come across it I will post the link. I have been at this for some years and still come across the cryptic and baffling...

The only thing to do is ask. Which you did, but unfortunately I misunderstood which bit you did not get. I shall try to take better care.

David can you, as an expert in the field of education, please explain from whom control is wrested when a school is taken into Special Measures?

I think we are all agreed that the increased funding for the schools under Haringey control is a good thing. A generation of children in our Borough will have reason to be grateful to the Coalition Government. But I half wonder if the chronic and unfair underfunding of Haringey's schools may have been a factor in the number of times Special Measures has been applied.

Any comment?

Clive, control is not "wrested" and schools are not "taken into special measures". Please take some time to read and learn about the terms you're using.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service