Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

With local elections in London round the corner, ward-level local political parties across the borough are choosing their who will represent them. Whilst it's not uncommon for sitting councillors to be endorsed to run again without challenge, there are also times when challengers are put forward. 

Both the Harringay and St Ann's ward councillors will face a challenge this time. Mike Hakata, is a St Ann's councillor with cabinet responsibility for traffic across the borough. Haringey Council has a poor record on traffic management and it is way behind neighbouring boroughs in introducing new approaches to reduce rat-running and encourage active travel.

The Ladder, in particular, has been a victim of poor traffic management decisions going back over half a century. Mike Hakata is now apparently promising to tackle the issue head-on. After getting approval for a St Ann's low traffic neighbourhood, he has now turned his attention to the Ladder. Whilst I still have some concerns and questions about the approach that will be taken, Mike Hakata seems to be the best chance we have. it would be a crying shame to see him de-seated by his local party. 

The vote in St Ann's is next week (Monday, I think). So if you are a Labour party member (which I am not) in St Ann's ward, please please do think about making sure that you vote and give full consideration to Mike's importance for the future wellbeing of the Ladder. 

Tags for Forum Posts: deselection, mike hakata, st ann's labour, traffic

Views: 8995

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, OK. Thanks.

I'm still quite shocked at even that suggestion though.

I’ve just checked on the issue of potential traffic displacement with Mike and, as I suspected/hoped, it’s been considered. Reassuringly, I think, he said he following:

I can confirm that 1) the plan isn't complete pedestrianisation but increasing pedestrian and active travel/public transport space, transforming the area into more of a visit and stay destination. 2) the project will include ensuring the Ladder and Wightman are no longer through routes between the A504 and the A1

(The quote above has been amended since first publication. It originally referred to the A405. After checking with Mike, it was confirmed that he, in fact meant, A504)

Hugh — Okay..... So this is how it works, then, is it? Through traffic blocked by the series of LTNs from Hermitage to Wood Green; closure (presumably) of Wightman to stop traffic from Seven Sisters to the N Circular and vice versa; only buses and taxis on Green Lanes. Effectively, Harringay is closed. Really...?

I think we now have to wait for the detail. 

I do not find that at all reassuring.

Hmm, I had my my mind on other things last night. I was reassured by the restatement of the 'project' seeking to cut-out through-traffic on the Ladder, but now I'm puzzling at the choice of A1 and A405. The words I gave are verbatim. The A1 is the Holloway Road. That makes sense, But, I suspect that Mike might have meant A504 rather than A405: the 504 is Turnpike Lane. I don't want to pester him. but I'll try and check.

What is it that you don't find reassuring?

Do you mind asking him which routes will be used instead for this traffic?

Oakfield and Wightman are getting worse, plus you add traffic being pushed out of the LTNs further East and there will come a time where you're just displacing traffic constantly.

Yes, it should have been A504. To save confusion, I've edited my quote from last night.

Yes, this does seem confused; I thought the Wightman problem was primarily to do with north/south traffic avoiding GL and Wood Green (ie between the N Circular A406 and Seven Sisters A503) rather than east/west towards or from the A1 (Holloway Rd/Archway Rd)? The lack of railway crossings other than Turnpike Lane and Endymion is obviously a critical factor, but I understood  Ladder residents were mainly concerned about commuters to & from, say, Hertfordshire, who are said to comprise the bulk of traffic? How does simultaneous Wightman AND GL closure as suggested solve the railway crossing problem?

Hisky, I'm as keen as you to know the answer. I was initially seeking reassurance on the basic issue of whether the 'project' will still seek to protect the Ladder from through-traffic now that strict traffic control is envisaged on Green Lanes.

My guess is that the answer to the question you frame may well be one that won't be well conveyed in a line or two. My sense is that for more detail, we should probably wait for the next formally convened meeting / zoom. 

I guess this sub-thread highlights the flaws in having broad Council strategy being disseminated in piecemeal fashion, and via discussions with lobby groups. 

It's a longstanding approach in Haringey that's proven suboptimal in far too many instances.

I agree Will.

This type of change/traffic control on GL will affect the St Ann's side of GL as much as Ladder residents, but as the project currently stands I assume we will not be included in the consultation. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service