Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Crouch End library stopped broadcasting its free wifi over two weeks ago. Front desk staff seem to have no idea why... or if/when the service is going to be reinstated.

Apparently this is a borough-wide problem - in other words, there's currently no library wifi ANYWHERE in Haringey!

Seems astonishing that in 2014 this kind of technical problem can take so long to address. And one wonders how it was allowed to occur in the first place.

Anybody out there able to shed any light on the issue?

Chris

Views: 1529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We're very sorry our public Wi-Fi service is still unavailable.

We are in the final stages of reinstating the service and it should be available later this week.

Jonathan Cowley - Wood Green Central Library

Thanks for the reply. Have you told this to the staff in the libraries so they can inform customers of this?

Library staff are being kept informed and were advised by email this morning that the service should resume this week.

Jonathan Cowley - Wood Green Central Library

So is it up and running yet? I bet if it was the fridge where you kept the milk for your tea & coffee it would have been sorted by now.

It is the poorest & most disadvantaged that have to rely on the free public WiFi. It seems to me that those who hold the purse strings couldn't give one about them. How can it take over seven weeks to replace the WiFi? How can the date get pushed back? Please tell who is the new company that you are lining the pockets of & as yet has not provided the service?

It would be a joke if it was funny. 

I emailed Cllr Jason Arthur as his list of "cabinet" councillors responsibilities includes the libraries. (His main brief is the Council's budget.)  I suggested he read this discussion thread as it's self-explanatory.

Jason replied saying he's having induction sessions but will ask about the wi fi.

Phil, haven't you come across Robert Lowe (1811 – 1892) "the father of modern company law"?  Otherwise remembered for the phrase " we must educate our masters"  - following the 1867 Education Reform Act. 

So, sensibly, there's always a programme of training for new councillors. Since they can't be expected to know essential stuff like Planning Law; sitting on staff disciplinary appeals; or the location of the coffee machine.  Nor how to decide who goes on a jolly next year in Cannes.  Or which of Cllr Joe Goldberg's vanity PR projects need saving. (Correct answer: as many as possible.)

Your theory about the Koberites having a Borg hive-mind is intriguing but probably over complex. I've sometimes wondered about the Stepford councillors phenomenon, But in practice, replacement by androids is unnecessary. A Leader with enough power and patronage can keep most of the drones in line. 

Especially in Haringey where the Muswell Hill Colonial Leadership shows all the symptoms of injelititis - a terrible disease where an institution comes under the control of an individual or group of individuals who "struggle to eject all those abler than themselves". ... with "resistance to the appointment or promotion of anyone who might prove abler in course of time." 

Finally, Phil, fon't forget, as you scan through the names of councillors in the "cabinet"  on "Scrutiny", or chairing committees and all the other nice little earners, that there's a long tradition of the futile gesture.

Oops!  My stupid slip!  The 1867 Act was franchise reform.

It's a special Haringey tradition known as the Councillors' Call for Inaction.

As C. Northcote Parkinson accurately described, at the second stage of injelititis - which Haringey reached under Kober/Goldberg - we see an obvious symptom.

"The secondary stage is recognized by its chief symptom, which is Smugness. The aims have been set low and have therefore been largely achieved. The target has been set up within ten yards of the firing point and the scoring has therefore been high. The directors have done what they set out to do. This soon fills them with self-satisfaction. They set out to do something and they have done it."

Except of course, that in many cases in Koberville little positive has actually been done. It's enough to have a glossy policy - largely not enforced. Or a pledge or promise claiming credit for something which didn't happen, hasn't yet happened, or is someone else's achievement.

One thing I planned to do - but haven't had the time - is make a Freedom  of Information Act request for a table of all the councillors' allowances - including those extra thousands for being appointed to London-wide or other bodies by virtue of being a councillor.

Oh dear, it's now a calendar MONTH since I posted this... and almost TWO MONTHS since the wifi 'died' across Haringey's public libraries.

I see that some IT hardware was installed at Crouch End... but that was almost two weeks ago.

Help! Anyone out there? Jonathan Cowley?

Chris

Can I suggest you email directly to Steve McDonnell, Assistant Director of the Environment Department. Copying in Cllr Jason Arthur who has the remit for libraries.

stephen.mcdonnell@haringey.gov.uk  - jason.arthur@haringey.gov.uk

Thanks Alan.

" We’ve now agreed a replacement for the service and this will be implemented by the end of May ... "

Stephen McDonnell

" We are in the final stages of reinstating the service and it should be available later this week....."- Jonathan Cowley.

No it's not. No service in Hornsey Library today and the guy at the desk couldn't say when it would be up again. I mailed Stephen McDonnell and apparently he is on leave until tomorrow.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service