Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey is one of four London boroughs who have announced plans to roll out free WiFi, in the latest push to increase internet access.

Along with, Barnet, Harrow and Brent, Haringey is working with Arqiva, which is already working with five other London boroughs (Camden, Wandsworth, Hounslow, Islington, and Hammersmith and Fulham) on similar projects. 

The firm said rollouts would be taking place over the next 12 months. The service will use a mix of 3G and 4G small-cell technologies fixed to council street infrastructure such as lampposts to ensure coverage in high-footfall areas.

30 minutes of free use per day will be on offer. Further access will be charged at rates between £5 a day to £30 a month.

Views: 411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does 3G/4G mean that my wireless laptop which connects via hubs will not work ?

This may help.

So it won't work then. But I'll still have to pay for it through Council Tax

Is there more information anywhere? A "wi-fi" connection and a "3G/4G" connection are fundamentally different things, so I don't think it quite makes sense.

This is all I could find, from August last year: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/free_wifi_boost.htm

Thanks. None the wiser though! I suspect it will end up looking like a normal wifi network.

I don't see the point, if you have a smart phone you'll have always on internet access anyway. Are you likely to sit on the pavement with your laptop.... not really ? Most local cafés have wifi, so if you're using a laptop/tablet you'll go there and sit in comfort. If you want to go out and use your laptop you'll be on it for at least an hour( well I will), am I therefore going to end up paying £5 for sitting outdoors ( in OUR weather?), breathing in the fumes of Green Lanes? I don't think so! Or have I missed something. Perhaps someone can explain this to me.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service