Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Came through my door this morning. How much does it cost to produce this glossy full-colour magazine and why are the council still publishing it while cutting day centres and other essential services? An paying someone to deliver it house to house.

If they must publish something, Hackney council produce a smaller newspaper-style one, presumably cheaper, which actually has a lot more local community information in it and not just council good news propaganda.

Tags for Forum Posts: haringey people

Views: 1787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bianca Pascall sent Haringey a Freedom of Information (F.o.I) Act request about the Council's spending on "communications" - specifically mentioning the Haringey People magazine. She used the excellent free website WhatDoTheyKnow

Her F.o.I. request (link above) went in on 20 November 2014. Haringey should have replied on or before 19 December. They did not.

L.Barnet sent a previous F.o.I, on the Haringey People, via the same website, on 4 January 2010. Haringey replied on 4 February 2010. At that time, the magazine was produced ten times a year. On the cost, the Council replied:

"The cost of producing and distributing the magazine in 2008/09, net of advertising revenue, was £247,085, which was £11,015 below the amount budgeted from council resources. In 2009/10 the budget for the magazine was reduced to £221,000, with further savings proposed for the year 2010/11."

If anyone knows a link to other information in the public domain, can I please suggest you publish it here. Alternatively or in addition, consider signing-up to the WhatDoTheyKnow website and adding an annotation to Bianca Pascall's page to assist her. (The website rules mean it is not a discussion forum.)

As Abster says, we need full, accurate and helpfully presented figures - not just more spin and PR - if there is to be the slightest scrap of meaning in the claims by both the "Leader" and the Chief Executive that the budget marks a "new era of change" ... "in our relationship with partners, businesses, and residents".

Although it's at least accurate in one respect. The order of priority is partners - like property developers - coming first every time. With other businesses second. And residents always far behind.

Apologies. I intended to give the link to L.Barnet's F.o.I. in 2010.  (Interruption to comfort crying granddaughter.)

I also slipped-up with the dates. L.Barnet sent their F.o.I. on 3 January 2010. Haringey replied on 1 February 2010.

So they were getting through the best part of a million quid and half a forest every four years. Goes to show how much easier it is to spend other people's money.

I think they should provide one annual review publication a year detailing their accounts , clearly showing what was spent where and this should be available to be posted upon request and a PDF online and that be it.

The media and the government should counter ballance each other, they shouldn't be the same thing.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service