Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Hunts for £2bn Developer to Redevelop Main Council Buildings for Housing

According to architects' journal BD Online, Haringey Council is currently looking for a developer to jointly build 5,000 homes and redevelop more than 20 sites across the borough.

Among the sites up for grabs are the council’s main nine-storey office in Wood Green, where more than 300 people work, as well as Wood Green’s civic centre (pictured above) and library – which "will be moved elsewhere in the borough".

Other land included in the package is the Northumberland Park regeneration area in Tottenham, while it is also looking at bundling up other sites into the work including land behind Muswell Hill library and parts of Broadwater Farm in Tottenham.

It will be interesting to see how much affordable housing is included and what will happen to the facilities due to be "moved elsewhere".

Thanks to Robert Pike for the heads-up on this story.

Tags for Forum Posts: civic centre, haringey development vehicle, hdv

Views: 3118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting. On a trip to the secret nuclear bunker in Essex there was a map showing all the nuclear shelters for local authority's in London. It was a legal requirement in the 1980's to have one. Despite a bit of digging about I was never able to establish exactly where in Haringey it was and if indeed it still exists, fascinating stuff.
I did wonder what it might be, but I've no idea.

Did you see Emina's posting?

I think that must be the exit of the tunnel to the garden referred to in the article. I might ask if I can be taken down to have a look :)
Have just been told that there definitely is something down there. Apparently there is also some kind of nuclear bunker under Bruce Grove Youth centre
Posting? Article?
Hi Hugh

It's at the bottom of the thread confirms there is a bunker underneath although referred to more eloquently as a "civil defence suite" :)
Got it. Interesting. Thanks for posting. What a shame the building is for the knackers.

Page 4 Hugh

TQ

Yes, many seem programmed to want to preserve the Downton Abbey type structure.. but not those everyday slices of life, that the Civic Centre represents.

I'll be sad to see it go as well, a lovely building. I started the happiest day of my life there.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service