Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey residents affected by the disturbances in Tottenham over the weekend are to receive support via a new Community Assistance Centre set up at Tottenham Green Leisure Centre.

Open from 1pm today, the new centre will help local people with a wide range of issues – from emergency housing for residents whose homes were damaged by the disturbances to advice from a team of social workers.

Other support available will come from the Police and voluntary groups –and there will be advice on topics such as insurance claims and legal problems.

The centre will also act as a focal point for the many offers of donations which have been made by both businesses and individuals in the community.

Council Leader Claire Kober said: “Over the past few days, we’ve had many generous offers of support from local people and firms – while many of our own staff have been working around the clock to help find alternative accommodation for families.

“The new support centre will be somewhere where all of this help will come together under one roof.”

Whether people need help or advice – or would like to make a donation – the number to call is 020 8489 5308.

Tottenham Green Leisure Centre is at 1 Philip Lane, Tottenham, N15.

Transport details for Tottenham Green Leisure Centre are as follows –
Bus The following buses serve bus stops on Tottenham High Road, within a five-minute walk of the Leisure Centre: 41 / 76 / 123 / 149 / 230 / 243 / 259 / 279 / 318 / 341 / 349 / 476 / W4.

Train Tottenham Hale

Tube Seven Sisters Tube station on the Victoria Line is about five minutes walk away. After leaving the station at the 'High Road' exit, walk up the hill in the direction of Enfield, and Tottenham Hotspurs' ground, and away from Stamford Hill, keeping on the left-hand pavement. After passing College of North East London, turn left into Town Hall Approach Road until you reach the Leisure Centre.

Tags for Forum Posts: london troubles

Views: 854

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All councillors got a second "FACT SHEET" earlier today (9 August) based on information available at midday. Please click on the attachment. Key issues raised by HoL members include:

Housing -29 people have so far approached the council and alternative accommodation has been found for all of them. There are about 45 badly damaged residential properties.

Community Assistance Centre - opened at Tottenham Green Leisure Centre, 1 Philip Lane. Tottenham. N15 4JA.It's open today (9 August) until 8pm and then from 9am to 8pm until further notice.

People and businesses offering clothes, bedding and other supplies are asked to send their donations to Tottenham Green Leisure Centre. The centre cannot accept any cash donations.

Financial donations - A fund is being set up by the Council so people can donate money to help local residents and businesses affected by the riots.

Name of Fund: Mayor’s Charitable Account – Tottenham Fund

• Cheques – Payable to Mayor’s Charity – Tottenham Fund

Send to: London Borough of Haringey, PO Box 55235. London. N22 9DF

• Direct to the bank (either in a branch or by e-banking)  

Payee: Mayor’s Charity – Tottenham Fund  

Sort Code: 60-24-23

Account number: 90724828

The fund is being managed through the Mayor of Haringey’s charity account so all donations are kept separate from the council’s own finances.

Support to businesses -The Mayor of London is to set up a telephone advice service for local businesses.  The London Development Agency has offered £100k for business support.

The council’s website is being updated regularly with key information for residents and businesses.

Attachments:
Thanks Alan. Good job.
Thanks Alan. Will donate online right now. And thanks Hugh and the rest of HOL for providing a forum for this information.

Hugh, I'm not taking any credit for this. I'm sure that initiatives listed in the Fact Sheet have been thought about and/or in preparation since the weekend. And when I've spoken to Council staff during the last two days it's been obvious that they're working enormously hard.

I have sometimes been very frustrated about a lack of information. But I also understand that the urgent and immediate work of helping residents, clearing-up, setting up the Community Assistance Centre, etc, had to be the top priority.

What would also be really helpful is at least a temporary PayPal account for those of us who conduct our business online and have easily accessible funds available in PayPal.

Thank you for this - I will forward it on.

yes second that, a paypal or justgiving page would be more accessible I think
Exactly, a lot of people eke their livings out online nowadays and many of us have cash sitting around or coming in daily to PayPal accounts - that we might not have as easily accessible from personal and business accounts in banks.

I'm not sure if you've sent this request about Pay Pal to Haringey, Anne. So, just in case, I've passed it on to the Chief Executive's office.

I've added my own suggestion that, given the circumstances, we should ask PayPal to waive any charge so all the money reaches people urgently needing it.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

I certainly hope common sense prevails and they will agree to your suggestion Alan, my company was once quoted c12% to use PayPal - too high a price for the convenience I think.
I have done, yes. Also, yes - if you select the "Personal" tab and "send as gift" you should be all right. Also, whosever registers the paypal account should not reg it as a "Business" :-)
Just to let you know that Claire Kober, the Council Leader replied early this morning to say that she's passed this suggestion to Julie Parker, Director of Corporate Services.

There's now a page about the Community Assistance Centre on the Council website.

Donating to the Mayor's Fund via Paypal.

I got an update earlier this evening from Kevin Crompton, Haringey's Chief Executive. He was told by the Head of Finance that this has now been set up. it's on the Haringey website, in the news story about the Tottenham Fund. Earlier today three people had already make donations to the fund using Paypal.

Mr Crompton thanked people for the helpful suggestion.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service