Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Walking past the shop on the corner of Falkland Road the other day, I paused to ask the workmen busy converting the shop what it was due to become. "A cafe", I was told.

Then this morning the planning apps list hit my inbox and I noticed this same premises on the list. It seems like it's due to become a bar open till 01:00hrs.

Good news or bad?

I've invited Falkland Road resident Cllr David Schmitz to comment.

Full application here.

Views: 2765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Generally we seem to have a Sunday traffic jam at the North End of Wightman Road.  A mosque, a Greek church, a gospel church and the Cyprus Centre all fighting for parking space.

It's a nightmare. I spoke to the planning officer who signed off the application and Schmitz (at length) and both felt my concerns re traffic were groundless and unwarranted.

After that episode (and from living in the borough of Haringey for over 10 years) my opinion is that councillers and councils in general, don't give a hoot about the community.

A mosque, a Greek church, a gospel church and the Cyprus Centre all fighting

What? Living history forsooth, embracing crusades, jihad, El Mahdi, EOKA, whirling dervishes, evangelical zealots and all manner of byzantine shenanigans just at the end of my road. 

If only the old Jewish Synagogue would re-open on that sacred site and the Seventh Day Adventists relocate there, that should enliven your Saturday mornings too.

But I think you'll find Muslims prefer Friday rather than Sunday for their Sabbath.

my opinion is that councillers and councils in general, don't give a hoot about the community.

Ashley, after living on the Ladder's most important street, Wightman Road, for over 35 years may I ask: Who does and does not constitute that sacred phenomenon, "the community", about which we must all give a hoot?

You know how it is OAE - give a God a bad name .......

Right John, I'm slowly becoming that amnesiac agnostic schizophrenic dyslecix insomniac, sitting here at ten to midnight in two minds whether there's a dog out there and can't for the file of me remember if I tide him up or knot.

The person who has applied for planning permission may well be the same Safet Rakaj who was shot in the back on Wightman Rd in 2010, according to this article.  The gunman thought he owed him money:

http://www.barnet-today.co.uk/news.cfm?id=34625headline=Gunman%20ge...

Doesn't make him dodgy of course, he was after all the victim not the perpetrator, but thought I should at least raise it.

Doesn't make him dodgy of course,   he was after all the victim not the perpetrator, but thought I should at least raise it. 

WHY?

I have requested that the application come before the planning committee unless officers are minded to reject it, and I have objected to the application in the following terms, which indicate, I think, the difference between this site and that of the old Queen's Head.

The position of the premises  provides, of itself, a strong reason to reject the application. The premises are at the junction of Green Lanes with a residential street and their possible entrances are very close to residential accommodation.
The objection to the application is strengthened by the fact that the immediate area is already under stress from the presence of other establshments which have an evening or night-time trade, namely the restaurant immediately opposite and the Athena Palace which is located around the corner. Of particular note is the burden on parking at times when the CPZ is not in force.
Moreover, there is already a problem of rubbish being left on the pavement, both immeidiately outside the premises and outside the restaurant opposite (although I do not know whether this is generated primarily by the restaurant or by the HMO above). The problem with rubbish being left on the pavement is increased by the fact that the pavement narrows near to the junction with Green Lanes. If there is any increase, an already difficult situation will become intolerable.
As a non car-owner who lives half way down Falkland Road, I am not personally affected except insofar as I have to step over and around the rubbish which is left.
However, as a local councillor, I am well used to receiving complaints about the existing situation which I have described, and I am in no doubt that if the application is approved, the situation will become much worse.

David Schmitz
Liberal Democrat Councillor for Harringay Ward

see, thats why cllr schmitz does what he does.....id have gone with...

"its a stupid idea....."

thanks for your assistance in this matter councillor

The licensing appplication for this premises is now inN

Café Ora

581A Green Lanes, London N8 0RG
Ward - Harringay

Provision of Regulated Entertainment: Live Music, Recorded Music, Performance of Dance, Anything of a similar description to live music, Recorded Music or performance of dance.

Monday to Thursday 5pm to midnight
Friday to Saturday 5pm to 2am
Sunday 5pm to 1:30am
Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Years Day until 2am

Supply of Alcohol

Monday to Thursday 10am to midnight
Friday to Saturday 10am to 2am
Sunday 10am to 1:30am
For consumption ON the premises.
Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Years Day until 2am

Hours open to the public

Monday to Thursday 8am to 12:30am
Friday to Saturday 8am to 2:30am
Sunday 8am to 2am

Premises Type Café

End period 1 January 2013

See how to comment here.

So they think, neither their planning application or alcohol licence has been approved. They have to be rewarded for their sheer arrogance in the belief they're going to be given permission to operate.

for your info

Attachments:

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service